Announcing FreeNAS 9.2.1.1-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

indy

Patron
That was it exactly.
Since I am still practicing with my FreeNas setup, I just made a new volume on reinstalling and didnt bother setting a password (which auto-mounts the volume).
Thanks ;)

On my issue of the plugins refusing to start:
If you have multiple ethernet adapters make sure the right one is in the bridge.

G Brown

Dabbler
I had the same thing happen - are you running with everything encrypted? There's an undocumented setting in "Settings" > "Advanced" called "System dataset pool:" and I ended up having to plug in a spare flash drive and use that to hold the system files. Once I did that, everything worked perfectly.

I just checked the online pdf and there is no mention of that setting, nor is it shown in any of the screen captures.

Nothing's perfect...

crash

I had problems too, (see above posts) and I have all the zfs pools encrypted; went back to 9.2.1 and things work.

I had asked how does logging start up on the encrypted pools, as it seemed that is why services refused to start. I still don't know, but it is the weekend and it hasn't been 24 hours....and everything is back to before the upgrade, I think, so maybe I will get some answer from somebody who knows. It sounds like you have a workaround. Will there be a 9.2.1.2 for we encrypty folks?

J

jkh

I had problems too, (see above posts) and I have all the zfs pools encrypted; went back to 9.2.1 and things work.

I had asked how does logging start up on the encrypted pools, as it seemed that is why services refused to start. I still don't know, but it is the weekend and it hasn't been 24 hours....and everything is back to before the upgrade, I think, so maybe I will get some answer from somebody who knows. It sounds like you have a workaround. Will there be a 9.2.1.2 for we encrypty folks?

Possibly, yes. We've already fixed a CIFS crasher and an NFS lockd not starting issue in just the last 24 hours. Sigh. I hate releasing software! It always punishes you as a reward for that.

I've filed https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4294 to track the "only encrypted pools" case.

jkh and everyone else involved -

Thanks for releasing such awesome software - we do appreciate your time and effort!

crash

G Brown

Dabbler
I just want to say we all appreciate the hard work! In the last few months, there have been so many really big improvements I think we are all very thankful how far this has come in such a short time. Keep this pace up, I think you might run out of improvements real soon. Then what will you do? goat herding? You know, there has always got to be a glitch; otherwise it wouldn't be software. Do have a good weekend (am sure next weekend will be better).

J

jkh

Keep this pace up, I think you might run out of improvements real soon. Then what will you do? goat herding?

Thanks for the kind words. I think our goat herd would probably eat loco weed, fall into ravines, get eaten by stray wolves from Yellowstone national park, or catch exotic goat diseases no vet had ever seen before outside of Africa. We'll stick to software, I think. Better the devil you know. ;)

S

scotch_tape

Just upgraded from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.1, the Samba is much more responsive now. Thank you!!!

jyavenard

Patron
Well.. Encountered the permission issue one more time. I downloaded a directory and stored into the freenas samba share. After that tried to rename a file inside the copied directory. I couldn't. I had to open a shell, run chmod -R ug+rwx path/to/directory. From that point on it worked... How ACL could be made in such a way that a directory I just copied can't be modified, I don't get it

jyavenard

Patron
Another problem. It has happened twice tonight. I have a NFS share mounted by a Linux machine... Suddenly the mounted directory on the Linux wouldn't respond. Tried to unmount but couldn't. As a last measure, I tried to turn off the NFS service to restart it... It just locked the GUI. Ended up rebooting both machines... Never had NFS issue before :(

pbucher

Contributor
Another problem. It has happened twice tonight. I have a NFS share mounted by a Linux machine... Suddenly the mounted directory on the Linux wouldn't respond. Tried to unmount but couldn't. As a last measure, I tried to turn off the NFS service to restart it... It just locked the GUI. Ended up rebooting both machines... Never had NFS issue before :(

Check out this bug https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4290, this might be what's biting you also.

dfsooner

Dabbler
I'm now pretty sure the problem is related primarily to the Serial Console setting. I tried to upgrade my second server with the GUI upgrade and got the same slow boot problem. So I went back to the ISO for 9.1.1, uploaded the saved config for 9.1.1 and noticed the Serial Console box was checked. I unchecked it, saved the updated config, then did the firmware upgrade to 9.2.1.1 and it worked fine. I still have no idea why Serial Console was checked in 9.1.1. I'm pretty sure I didn't do it because I didn't know it existed until a day or two ago.

Supa

Patron

heinz lindemann

Dabbler
Impressive work!

But something is wrong with the download links....
The delta-file "FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x86.GUI_Upgrade.txz" comes correctly.
But the "FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x86.img.xz" link gives you "FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x86.vmdk.xz"

Please check...

hl

Guys,
sorry for bothering, do you need feedback or not, I mean any feedback that helps...
Is anybody taking care of the download thing?
Regards, hl

Savell Martin

Contributor
installed 9.2.1.1; I did reset the ownership/permission of my dataset using the GUI.
In the CIFS share settings I removed the inherit bits I had added earlier.

And it's all seem okay now. I can modify files I've created, and modify existing files too (I'm in the group permission)

Installed a new port jail, pkg works again ! great...

I still have this problem if I tick inherit permissions...

Thing is I would like it to inherit those permissions so what's the issue?!
I don't understand if the bug is closed why is this still an issue?

Or why is it that we have to use a work around?
Are they saying that this is the intended functionality?

mute

Dabbler
I'm also having the issue where the proftpd service isn't starting. This worked before the upgrade from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.1.
What do you change in System->Settings->Advanced?

I did some researching and found:

In
/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
Removing line 10
SyslogFacility ftp

and adding:
  1. proftpd_enable="YES"
to /var/tmp/rc.conf.freenas and /etc/rc.conf

When I do this and start the proftpd service ftp will work.

When I reboot, I'm back to square one, ftp does not work and the above files revert back to original.

I'm running into this as well on 9.2.1.1 and 9.2.1.2. It was working fine in 9.2.1, but I didn't notice ftp wasn't running because I don't use it often until yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.