Announcing FreeNAS 9.2.1.1-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mace

Cadet
I guess. For whatever reason .system disappeared from the zpool. I had to destroy the .system dataset and reinitialize it with service running some ix script. Divine helped me with that part. Afterwards it worked fine. The home dirs were different. I had to point CIFS at the dataset I use for the home dirs and I was able to access them again. Not sure what happened to .system. Maybe because I upgraded and my zpool is encrypted?

I still have the issue of a jail that is set to not autorun starting after the encrypted zpool is unlocked. Even tho the autostart flag isn't checked every time I unlock it starts.

Either way... it seems to be all working again other than the jail autostarting.

Thanks.

panz

Guru
If I download «FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x64.img.xz» I get «FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x64.vmdk» :(

Yatti420

Wizard
The move to persistent logging caught me and obviously FTP service off guard when I upgraded (I use to have a syslog dataset setup / scrapped).. I now realize why I have data flooding a mirror that use to be not in use.. Kinda disappointed on this one ;) Is most redundant chosen for log storage or is it the first pool?

Code:
[root@NAS] /var/log# cd ..
[root@NAS] /mnt/GREENMIRROR/.system/syslog#

J

jkh

The move to persistent logging caught me and obviously FTP service off guard when I upgraded (I use to have a syslog dataset setup / scrapped).. I now realize why I have data flooding a mirror that use to be not in use.. Kinda disappointed on this one ;) Is most redundant chosen for log storage or is it the first pool?

It's the first pool, and you can of course change it in System->Settings->Advanced.

CdRsKuLL

Cadet
Thanks.. Just getting back home so good timing :) Yay UPS!..

Edit: I can't seem to start FTP again :( after upgrade..

Code:
Feb 20 21:00:00 NAS newsyslog[14421]: logfile turned over due to size>100K
Feb 20 21:11:44 NAS notifier: proftpd not running?
Feb 20 21:11:44 NAS notifier: Starting proftpd.
Feb 20 21:11:44 NAS notifier: NAS .local proftpd[15885]: Fatal: SyslogFacility: unable to open syslog: Operation not permitted on line 10 of '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Feb 20 21:11:44 NAS root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Feb 20 21:11:44 NAS notifier: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd 

Edit #2 = Fixed

Hi fella, Just wondering what you did to fix this as I'm having the same issue I think. I've very new to FreeNAS but have enabled the footer messaging and its coming up with the same error of not permitted when I try to start my FTP server. Is this a permissons issue?

thanks,

TenzoR

Dabbler
I don't know whether this is a good thing or bad thing but the only time I have to shutdown/restart my Freenas box is during upgrade. Otherwise, solid as a rock! (60days and counting)

dfsooner

Dabbler
Trying to install 9.2.1.1, first using the .img, then using the .iso. Having the same problem with both.

Everything goes fine until I upload the saved configuration .db and it reboots. It goes through the FreeBSD stuff quickly, then starts the FreeNAS booting. Problem is, it does so at a snail's pace. It takes 1-2 seconds FOR EACH CHARACTER to display on the console. At this rate it will take be a week to boot.
Anyone have any idea what might be wrong. I am upgrading from 9.1.1 Release.

Intel Core i5-3450S Ivy Bridge 2.8GHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAID CARD LSI 9211-8I SGL
NORCO RPC-4224 R Rackmount Server Case with 24 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays
Intel® RAID Expander Card RES2SV240

cyberjock

Inactive Account

dfsooner

Dabbler
Yep, that's what I'm seeing!

Incidentally, I'm using the on-chip Intel video controller and a standard VGA monitor.

cschappa

Cadet
It's the first pool, and you can of course change it in System->Settings->Advanced.

I'm also having the issue where the proftpd service isn't starting. This worked before the upgrade from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.1.
What do you change in System->Settings->Advanced?

I did some researching and found:

In
/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
Removing line 10
SyslogFacility ftp

and adding:
  1. proftpd_enable="YES"
to /var/tmp/rc.conf.freenas and /etc/rc.conf

When I do this and start the proftpd service ftp will work.

When I reboot, I'm back to square one, ftp does not work and the above files revert back to original.

dfsooner

Dabbler
I saw what PBMax did to solve his problem. However, I'm not familiar with SQLite Manager or the "system tables", either how to get to them or to change them. Is there a SIMPLE way to get around this problem other than waiting for a new ticket to be resolved in another release?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I saw what PBMax did to solve his problem. However, I'm not familiar with SQLite Manager or the "system tables", either how to get to them or to change them. Is there a SIMPLE way to get around this problem other than waiting for a new ticket to be resolved in another release?

Try these from the CLI:

[root@freenas] /# sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db
SQLite version 3.8.0.2 2013-09-03 17:11:13
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> SELECT adv_serialconsole FROM system_advanced;
sqlite> UPDATE system_advanced SET adv_serialconsole = '0';
sqlite> SELECT adv_serialconsole FROM system_advanced;
sqlite> .quit
[root@freenas] /# shutdown -r now

If the first output is already zero, then that's not your problem. Or at least, this "fix" won't work. Please report back if this works for you. Strangely, the default should be zero, so we're a little confused as to how it would end up a one without a hardware settting in the BIOS or something changing it.

Edit: Just changed the above. I had people changing it from zero to one, and it's supposed to change from one to zero!

dfsooner

Dabbler
Right now I'm letting the boot run to completion. Should I wait for that to complete and make the changes or go back to 9.1.1, make the changes there, then start the upgrade process anew?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right now I'm letting the boot run to completion. Should I wait for that to complete and make the changes or go back to 9.1.1, make the changes there, then start the upgrade process anew?

Not sure. I talked with a couple of iX guys in IRC and we don't understand how this setting is being enabled. This is all a puzzle right now.

dfsooner

Dabbler
I have another server with completely different hardware specs (with 9.1.1). Using SQLite it is already set at 1. It might be useful to remember that it only occurs after saved settings are uploaded. Maybe it's something in the save config or upload config process??

What BIOS settings might be applicable that would cause it to be set to 0?

Sir.Robin

Guru
No issues here. FTP also runs fine. :)

G Brown

Dabbler
I have similar symptoms: no smb can start, no ftp. Also I did:
sqlite> UPDATE system_advanced SET adv_serialconsole = '1';

But I have no system log:
/var/log -> /mnt/rz2/.system/syslog/log << does not exist.

Samba can't open /var/log/samba4/log.wb-BUILTIN

Also,
2177 ?? Ss 0:00.03 /usr/sbin/syslogd -s -C
2593 ?? Is 0:00.02 /usr/local/bin/upslog -s ups -l /var/log/ups.log -i 300 << does not exist
it seems my logging is screwed up.
How do things log on an encrypted pool before the disks are unlocked?
After the update, I did not have the /mnt/rz2/.system dir; so I went to the gui, re-clicked rz2 as System dataset pool:, rebooted, but still no logging.
Any suggestions? Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.