FreeNAS 9.2.1.2-RELEASE is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Howdy,

OK, it's done!

9.2.1.2-RELEASE is now up on http://download.freenas.org - please come and get it!

This point release for 9.2.1 fixes even more issues found in 9.2.1.1 in CIFS, NFS locking, the new .system dataset, ACLs, migration during upgrades, serial consoles, and a few smaller things. All bugs fixed in 9.2.1.2-RELEASE can be found here.

SPECIAL NOTE: We had to re-roll the 9.2.1.2-RELEASE done on 2014-02-28;
If you see a release directory without a CHECKSUMS file, you have the old one. Please use the release from 2014-03-01. There was a last-minute change which broke automatic pool imports and the GUI updater - whoops! If you already installed the previous 9.2.1.2 with the broken GUI updater, please do the following from the GUI shell:
  1. cd /tmp
  2. fetch 'http://download.freenas.org/errata/fix.sh'
  3. chmod 755 fix.sh
  4. sh ./fix.sh
This will bring you up to date (and apply the fix this new release would have also brought you). We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

From a high level, these are the most significant changes:
  • Samba (SMB/CIFS support) upgraded to version 4.1.5
  • Linux Jails now work with UFS
  • NFS lockd now starts properly at boot time
  • Serial console misconfiguration is now harder to do.
  • Logging to .system dataset is now optional. If you have an old syslog dataset (which is how this was formerly done), you are strongly encouraged to transition to the new .system/syslog dataset by enabling that option in System->Settings->Advanced and simply deleting your old syslog dataset.
Otherwise, the 9.2.1.1 ReleaseNotes still apply, so I won't repeat them all here!

We'd like to thank the community for its patience in dealing with the many issues we introduced in the name of progress (or just hadn't been found until people really started beating on CIFS) in 9.2.1.

We've worked very hard to nail those issues in this series of point releases and are confident that we've finally gotten this branch polished to a pretty high gloss (which is what you want in a NAS!). We certainly could not have done so without all of your testing and feedback over the last month, so again, thanks!

- The FreeNAS Engineering Team

ThreeDee

Guru
Johnny on the spot .. you guys rock!

Daisuke

Contributor
The upgrade was completed and everything is OK. I do get this error at boot:
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4043

IMG_20140228_224828.jpg

GaiusBaltar

Explorer
The upgrade was completed and everything is OK. I do get this error at boot:
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4043

according to this but ticket: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4154
mDNSresponder wasnt part of FreeNAS until after 9.2.0 (which explains why you didn't see them prior to your upgrade tonight).

Given the messages though, all it appears to mean is that the mdnsresponder service is trying to simply add a DNS record into its database that is already there (in your case, both A record and pointer records). In my humble opinion, the messages are annoying, but benign, especially if you can safely SSH to the FreeNAS system and perform nslookups on your network with no issues (using your networks's configured DNS servers obviously).

meanwhile, I just completed my upgrade from 9.2.1.1 to 9.2.1.2. so far so good. samba already seems less flaky than before (i had been bitten by the one samba panic bug the other day, so glad to see that it appears fixed now)

GaiusBaltar

Explorer
I still miss the sweet CIFS performance I used to get with FreeNAS 8.0.2, 75MB/sec upload to NAS and 115MB/sec download. Right now I get 50MB/sec and 80MB/sec.

I don't know enough about the changes to Samba 4+ to say if that's a Samba issue, but CIFS speed can/will be affected by file size during the transfer and (obviously) any potential congestion on the network, or processes taking up CPU time on the Samba server (since Samba is still single threaded - of course the Samba guys say (or at least used to say) that this is a good thing and making it multithreaded could/would hurt performance).

Given all that, i just on the fly did a quick test with a 2GB file. my network is 1Gbps with currently little traffic (few Mbps active from other devices).
-Upload speed started at 50MBps and climbed to 90MBps (Windows GUI calculated speed).
-Download speed was maxing the bandwidth at ~120MBps (again, Win GUI calc'd speed).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
On my 10Gb LAN I get over 2Gb/sec both ways. :P

GaiusBaltar

Explorer

Hi-Liter

Explorer
A question arises having gone back from 9.2.1.1 to 9.2.1 (couldn't go back to 9.2.0 since I created my zpool on 9.2.1 :() - Can I upgrade from 9.2.1 to 9.2.1.2 directly or would I have to upgrade to 9.2.1.1 first?

I'm asking because I remember there being some upgrade issues to 9.2.1.1.

J

jpaetzel

If your FreeNAS box can access the internet:

Code:
cd /tmp
fetch 'http://download.freenas.org/errata/fix.sh'
chmod 755 fix.sh
sh ./fix.sh

If it cannot I access the internet I am attaching the fix to this post, although the forums block shell scripts so I've named it fix.txt

Attachments

• fix.txt
    204 bytes · Views: 379
J

jpaetzel

There's been one report of the GUI not starting properly after this procedure is performed.

If that is the case (the symptom is the webui gives a "this service is not available") do:

Code:
# service django restart

Majik

Dabbler

whackjack

Cadet
Signed up just to say that I can confirm jpaetzel's script (and subsequent django restart) worked perfect for me.

ppmax

Contributor
downloads.freenas.org has a folder named .9.2.1.2-BROKEN

Did the release get pulled or is this the release folder?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Well, thank you for your hard work yet again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.