Announcing FreeNAS 9.2.1.1-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinz lindemann

Dabbler
Impressive work!

But something is wrong with the download links....
The delta-file "FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x86.GUI_Upgrade.txz" comes correctly.
But the "FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x86.img.xz" link gives you "FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x86.vmdk.xz"

Please check...

hl

dfsooner

Dabbler
OK. I tried to let the boot play itself out but it eventually stopped with some kind of "panic" message and a db> prompt.

I then rebooted with the 9.1.1 flash disk. I then checked and adv_serialconsole was set to "1". So it looks like everything was set up ok in the 9.1.1 config.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have similar symptoms: no smb can start, no ftp. Also I did:
sqlite> UPDATE system_advanced SET adv_serialconsole = '1';

But I have no system log:
/var/log -> /mnt/rz2/.system/syslog/log << does not exist.

Samba can't open /var/log/samba4/log.wb-BUILTIN

Also,
2177 ?? Ss 0:00.03 /usr/sbin/syslogd -s -C
2593 ?? Is 0:00.02 /usr/local/bin/upslog -s ups -l /var/log/ups.log -i 300 << does not exist
it seems my logging is screwed up.
How do things log on an encrypted pool before the disks are unlocked?
After the update, I did not have the /mnt/rz2/.system dir; so I went to the gui, re-clicked rz2 as System dataset pool:, rebooted, but still no logging.
Any suggestions? Thx

G Brown,

Those commands have nothing to do with SMB FTP, etc. They are strictly for dfsooner's problem. You're going to be doing alot of sad faces and crying if you're going to start editing the database without knowing what you are doing. Very dangerous!

dfsooner: My system started as 8.3.0, then was 8.3.1, then was 9.1.1, and now 9.2.0. My setting is zero, which is what the iX guys also had for their setting. As I said, we're all puzzled by this because it should be zero for everyone.

One option is to take that USB stick that paniced and boot the USB stick on another machine only long enough to make the change, then put the USB stick back in your old machine.

The fact that it panic'd makes me wonder if something more nefarious is going on. But take it one battle at a time. Let's get your value changed to zero if its one and then see what happens next.

Also, just because 9.1.1 had that settting already set to one doesn't mean there isn't a change in 9.2.1 that has caused this problem to surface. I still think the best choice is to get it set to zero and see if your slow booting problem goes away.

G Brown

Dabbler
I went back to 9.2.1, re-uploaded the 9.2.1 config and 4 reboots later, I seem to be back where I was earlier today.

I have logging again.
/dev/md2 on /var (ufs, local)
and the services can startup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
post deleted

No, you were correct. It should have been zero. My commands should have changed a one back to zero. Zero is the default, and we're not sure why some machines have a one. My copy/pasting and trying to cleanup the mess had me change those numbers so that they were wrong for you! Go back and check out my revision. It should be correct now. Good catch!

dfsooner

Dabbler
Let me see if I have this straight.

I need to boot with 9.2.1.1 as downloaded, change the setting to zero, then upload the saved config. Right?

Do I need to boot 9.1.1 and change the setting to zero, then save config first?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

indy

Patron
I had several problems upgrading from 9.2.1 to 9.2.1.1
- console in the web-gui footer would display nothing
- some 'popup-dialogs' in the webgui would sometimes get stuck after applying something
- starting/stopping plugin jails would sometimes hard reset the PC
- plugins refused to start

A clean install of 9.2.1.1 fixed all of those.
(This is not meant as a bug report since it might have very well been my lack of ability to use FreeNas correctly that caused them.)

kozobp

Cadet
Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for the development team! It's really amazing job! :) However, I faced to a problem upgrading 9.2.1 to 9.2.1.1. I've checked forum posts and bug-list, but there's no similar issue reported as far as I know.
I ran the update via web-gui, and there was no problem. After reboot I was wondered, as SSH and other things worked fine, but I could not reach the web-gui anymore. Then I made a virgin install from image, it was fine up to the point I uploaded my configuration db and reboot. After that the same thing happened: system runs, but there's no web-gui available. I have not made any hacking, except removing an enter in crontab due to the small bug. I recovered 9.2.1 and it works fine with the saved settings.

Any idea? Do I perform the update in a wrong way or missed something out?

Thanks!

dfsooner

Dabbler
I finally got up and running. Bottom line is that I switched from the 2GB flash drive I used originally to a larger drive.

Incidentally, the first boot of the new flash drive had the Settings->Advanced->Use Serial Console box was unchecked.

Just speculation but, after reading some of the install recommendations, I believe that the problem may have been that the 2GB flash (even though I had used it with a previous 8.x release was, in fact, maybe not a full 2GB and would not hold all the data necessary when the config upload was done. Again, just speculation on my part.

toadbyte

Cadet
In regards to the following suggestion:

Updated the LSI 6 Gbps HBA driver (mps) to version 16. Please update the firmware of any mps HBAs to phase 16.

I currently have a LSI 9207 HBA that is running v7.29.00.00 (bios date 2012.11.12) with firmware (phase) 15.

I downloaded the following 2 files:
UEFI_BSD_P16 (I believe this to be the bios update)
Installer_P16_for_FreeBSD (I believe this to be the firmware update)

The provided instructions are detailed but without much knowledge of SAS/HBA flashing or updating I thought I should ask for a bit more clarification on this process.

A few questions I have:
Do I just need to update the firmware from p15 to p16?
Do I also need to update the bios version to 7.23.01.00? (Which is confusing since by versioning this would would suggest a downgrade)

If user / developer has a moment to suggest or detail the proper order or instruction to complete this process it would be very much appreciated.

I did search online for this process but could not find anything specific to this question.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm really not sure why you are asking those questions here. This is not the LSI support forum. Any advice given on your questions should be taken with a generous dose of salt.

toadbyte

Cadet
I appreciate your response and understand your point.

I try to follow developers suggestions whenever possible. I suppose if it wasn't somewhat important it would have been omitted in the release notes.

I suppose a better question would be: By upgrading the LSI bios and firmware what performance or stability benefits should we observe in regards to FreeNas 9.2.1.1?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I appreciate your response and understand your point.

I try to follow developers suggestions whenever possible. I suppose if it wasn't somewhat important it would have been omitted in the release notes.

I suppose a better question would be: By upgrading the LSI bios and firmware what performance or stability benefits should we observe in regards to FreeNas 9.2.1.1?

Again, that's a question for LSI. They just give us the firmware and drivers. They'll have any "release notes" on what they changed(assuming they are even accurate/thorough). On our end, the only thing that is important is for you to make sure your firmware version and driver version match.

toadbyte

Cadet
Again, that's a question for LSI. They just give us the firmware and drivers. They'll have any "release notes" on what they changed(assuming they are even accurate/thorough). On our end, the only thing that is important is for you to make sure your firmware version and driver version match.

The current firmware for LSI 6 Gbps HBA products is P18. The current release notes for FreeNas 9.2.1.1 state:

Please update the firmware of any mps HBAs to phase 16

It is quite clear you provide no value or knowledge to this subject, so please bark up another tree (bad pun intended) to max you post counts. I will pursue other channels to find my answers.

indy

Patron

toadbyte

Cadet

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And if you took the time to look around, you'd see that if you had a problem with an LSI controller and called them, the first thing the'll ask is firmware and driver version. And if they don't match they'll basically tell you to buzz off.

Good luck. It's gonna be hilarious to see your future posts in this forum. I'm sure it'll be plenty "insightful" and "informative".

I had several problems upgrading from 9.2.1 to 9.2.1.1
- console in the web-gui footer would display nothing
- some 'popup-dialogs' in the webgui would sometimes get stuck after applying something
- starting/stopping plugin jails would sometimes hard reset the PC
- plugins refused to start

A clean install of 9.2.1.1 fixed all of those.
(This is not meant as a bug report since it might have very well been my lack of ability to use FreeNas correctly that caused them.)

I had the same thing happen - are you running with everything encrypted? There's an undocumented setting in "Settings" > "Advanced" called "System dataset pool:" and I ended up having to plug in a spare flash drive and use that to hold the system files. Once I did that, everything worked perfectly.

I just checked the online pdf and there is no mention of that setting, nor is it shown in any of the screen captures.

Nothing's perfect...

crash

Status
Not open for further replies.