Abysmal read (Server to client) speeds of 300KB/s

wren2k2

Cadet
Ok I know it's been a little bit since this thread, but I'm trying to figure out an SMB issue. I'm not sure where else to go. I have 2 shares set up (the 2nd one I set up just to test/eliminate my ZFS pool as the option it is a single NVMe drive shared) My transfers to the server are great, over 100MB on a 1Gb network, but transfers from the server are under 1MB. Usually around 300KB. I've tried from android and multiple windows PCs with the same result. I've also checked/watched network usage, drive usage, RAM usage. None of it is above 20% at any time. It's got a 9th gen I7 with 32GB if RAM. Not sure what else to look at or where to go from here.

wren2k2

Cadet
Ok so to start I haven't really used linux much, so very limited knowledge there. I have Truenas Scale set up and on my SMB share I'm getting full 100MB/s ish speeds uploading to the server, but downloading from the server I'm getting about 300KB/s speeds. I do have platter drives in the server so I'm aware there will be a significant performance hit there, but those speeds seem wrong to me. I've tried some things I've seen on various posts, mostly here, such as several network cables, even tested some on a tester and verified they are good across all pairs. I've tried adjusting MTU settings several times, I've tried numerous devices from android, several windows machines, I simply can't get "reasonable" read speeds from the server. The card I'm currently using is an Aquantia AQC100 10G card in the PCIE slot. I currently only have it plugged into a 1G switch, but I'm not getting anywhere near the 1G performance so I don't expect that to be an issue as any other devices plugged in there aren't having performance issues. I do have a single NVMe drive in there and set up a share and mapped to it and copied a file and it still gets the same speeds. Oddly enough if I copy a file (using a map from my client pc) between the pool and the NVMe the speeds are excellent, which honestly simply confuses me more. Also the drive on my client PC is an NVMe so I wouldn't expect it to be an issue with the performance of the client.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 78

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, and pay particular attention to the section on how to formulate a useful problem report, especially including a detailed description of your hardware.

You've basically given no one anything to work with, so the responses will tend to be random guesses rather than anything useful.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
[mod note: condensed your posts which appear to be a single issue]

seanmcg182

Dabbler
Hey, I saw that you originally commented on my post ( https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ween-windows-and-smb-share.91092/#post-631137 ) before the mods condensed into one new post... I don't think your issue is related, but figured I'd explain my situation just in case... But my issue was over a year and a half ago, and I do not remember everything

Just to share my experience, it seemed that the drive setup I was using (either the drives or the configuration) was causing my write speeds to fluctuate sporadically between 80 and 20 MBps.

1) In my case, I had 3 Toshiba NAS Drives in a RAIDZ Configuration... The Drives were showing bogus SMART Errors, and I returned them under warranty, and got Seagate Exos instead... in the new configuration I had 4 Drives set up in a mirror configuration... I think the Toshiba Drives, even tho they were NAS drives, just weren't handling the heavy I/O, so I got Enterprise level drives... and I decided to change the Type of configuration, because its easier to scale up pairs of drives than scaling up a ZFS1/2/3 in my opinion.

2) I think there was an issue with network speed negotiating... IE, my router's 2.5G port was having issues negotiating with my server's 1G port... I ended up moving to a 1G port... TLDR, ensure that your 10G Port is capable of 1G negotiation.

So in my situation, between replacing the drives, changing the configuration of the vdev, and having my network interfaces in a place they could properly negotiate... my issue disappeared. and I get about 120MBps over the 1G Router port, which is basically capping out the 1GB capability of the router port.

As I said though, unfortunately, I doubt this will help you... the symptoms seem to be very different...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hey, I saw that you originally commented on my post ( https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ween-windows-and-smb-share.91092/#post-631137 ) before the mods condensed into one new post...

Sorry if I added to the confusion. There aren't always easy options for moderation and making conversational flow work out. The mod team typically favors users having a single fresh post to describe their troubles, as the fresh post typically has the best outcome on these forums, but sometimes a response to an older post is relevant too. I probably should have included a link back to the thread I pulled it out of. Sorry for the inconvenience.

wren2k2

Cadet
Sorry if I added to the confusion. There aren't always easy options for moderation and making conversational flow work out. The mod team typically favors users having a single fresh post to describe their troubles, as the fresh post typically has the best outcome on these forums, but sometimes a response to an older post is relevant too. I probably should have included a link back to the thread I pulled it out of. Sorry for the inconvenience.
No, it actually was helpful. I have now switched to the 1G port on the board and I'm getting 80MB-100MB transfers. While it doesn't "solve" the issue of my wanting to get the 10G card working because when I move the server into my server rack I have a Cisco switch with 10G ports it at least provides me with a work around for the time being. I'm not sure if it is a negotiation issue with the card. It did show 10G link so perhaps it's "only capable of 10G" which seems a bit odd to me.

wren2k2

Cadet
Ok, just checked and sure enough that card is only capable of 10G speed negotiation.......Thanks for the information/idea. I wouldn't have thought of the card not being backward compatible.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
perhaps it's "only capable of 10G" which seems a bit odd to me.

Crap grade cards like the Aquantia's are the Realteks of the 10G world. They wanted to find some sort of silicon that they could sell into an underserved market segment, and since most 10G chipsets are at least moderately expensive and designed for the server market, Aquantia seems to have latched onto cheap crap grade cards for desktop and gamers. They play off the relative scarcity of options, plus the ignorance of their target demographic. Copper 10GBASE-T is a terrible technology. PCIe x4 is not really optimal. The drivers are immature and all sorts of problems seem to crop up. We can wish it weren't so, but that's what I've observed about the Aquantia's that have shown up here in the forums.

If you want cards that are known to work well, please refer to the 10 Gig Networking Primer available on these forums.

seanmcg182

Dabbler
Ok, just checked and sure enough that card is only capable of 10G speed negotiation.......Thanks for the information/idea. I wouldn't have thought of the card not being backward compatible.
Glad I could help!