Consistent read/write and IX-Application Dataset

Chaunce_S

Cadet
Good morning everyone. I'm new here and I have a couple of questions.

I just recently installed TrueNAS Scale on a dedicated server. I'm using a docking station via USB with 2 8TB HDDs set in mirror mode.

I am consistently getting sound from the disks every 30 seconds as if thought they were writing. And it appears in TrueNas, that they are ever so slightly writing consistently.
Is this normal?
From what I've read it is. So, I just set up for the drives to go into standby-spin down after 30 minutes. But I'm unsure that will work if there is activity on the drives.

And then my other question is this - I have an Ix-Applications dataset, but I haven't installed any of the applications (as far as I'm aware). I'm not sure what would be in this folder/dataset. And it appears to be growing in size - ever so slightly. It was at 100mb a few days ago and is now at 500mb.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm using a docking station via USB with 2 8TB HDDs set in mirror mode.
If you're just getting to know TrueNAS and not playing with any data you care about, that's OK, but I suspect you're thinking you've got a permanent setup here with 8TB of available space, so I'll comment accordingly.

You need to read this (and then seriously consider your hardware choices before proceeding):

I am consistently getting sound from the disks every 30 seconds as if thought they were writing. And it appears in TrueNas, that they are ever so slightly writing consistently.
Is this normal?
There are a couple of reasons this may be...

The System Dataset (which will automatically move itself to your first data pool when it's created), hosting the reporting database and usually gets hit every 5-10 seconds or so. You can move the system dataset to the boot pool if your boot pool is on an SSD or NVME drive.

The Kubernetes system... probably related to your second question:
I have an Ix-Applications dataset, but I haven't installed any of the applications (as far as I'm aware). I'm not sure what would be in this folder/dataset. And it appears to be growing in size - ever so slightly. It was at 100mb a few days ago and is now at 500mb.
Chances are you set the apps pool (under Apps | Settings)

If you can see the option there to Unset pool, then you certainly did set it and you can just Unset it to put it back to how it was.

Chaunce_S

Cadet
@sretella,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and answer it so dilligently.

The docking station is temporary. I will be building an ITX/Mini ATX NAS system in the next few weeks.

How do you find the "System Dataset"? It doesn't show under the dataset list. Is it something I have to do through shell? And moreso, how do I move it, or do you have a resource I can look at?

What effects negative/positive does it have if the apps pool was/wasn't set up?

Thanks again!

sretalla