Slow Transfer Speeds between Windows and SMB Share

seanmcg182

Dabbler
So, I've seen a few similar articles, but nothing that ended up helping me solve my issue.
Headsup, I'm pretty new to not only TrueNAS, but Linux in general. Literally just started 2 weeks ago. I'm a Windows fanboy haha.

To start off, my Server:
- Asrock B450M Pro 4 motherboard
- 32GB 3200MHz RAM
- Ryzen 2700X CPU
- MSI GT710 GPU
- 3x 8TB Toshiba X300 HDDs, (RAIDZ, Encrypted, set up in TrueNAS)
- ESXi v6.7U3
- TrueNAS on a VM, v12.0-U1.1... 16GB Alloted/Reserved RAM, 6CPU Cores.

I do a lot of data transfer between my Windows 10 Desktop, and a Windows SMB Share I have hosted from TrueNAS.

When I do this, it usually starts off at like 70-80MiB/s, and then quickly drops to 10-20MiB/s, sometimes just dropping to 0 for a good 30-60 seconds.

Per other posts, I've looked at my network adapter configuration, and it says "media: Ethernet autoselect"... it does NOT say whether its 100baseT or 1000BaseT...
The TrueNAS dashbaord is the same readout, just "autoselect"
I tried forcing "sudo ifconfig vmx0 media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex "... however I just get the response "ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (media): Device not configured" which I can't find any help about online.

My ESXi is also hosting a Windows10 VM, and running a Speedtest on there yields results of 500MB/s... I know that's Internet traffic, and not local traffic, but that shows that the Ethernet Cable has high bandwidth...
The desktop yields similar speedtest results.

I can provide any other information as requested.

Side note: Transferring files from a Windows SMB Share to a Linux NFS share also takes a decent amount of time... not really sure how long speed-wise, as I do that through the terminal with mv -r commands... however this issue might just be from having to transcode file formats for the different shares... Not sure if this is an "issue" or functioning normally.

seanmcg182

Dabbler
TotalRead = 41,978 MiB
TotalWrite = 41,505 MiB
TotalFiles = 38 (4)
TotalTime = 49:21
TransRate = 14.0 MiB/s
FileRate = 0.01 files/s

Output from FastCopy, for reference of how bad the speeds are... 42GiB in almost 50 minutes

seanmcg182

Dabbler
TrueNAS interface splash while transferring files... the slower one was taken less than 10 seconds after the fast one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 365

seanmcg182

Dabbler
Another 2 pictures showing the Network Traffic and Disk I/O form TrueNAS Reporting section.
(Sorry for so many replies, can't find out how to edit original post.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 309
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 305

no_connection

Patron
6 cores? How much co-stop are you seeing? I would suggest to start with 2 unless you do transcodes(I would have a separate VM for that anyway).
Pretty sure vmx is 10G, it is for me with vmxnet 3. So I would not try to force it to go 1G.

I am not up to date for v12 but look around for bug reports concerning speed.

While I don't agree that you can't run it in a VM, do make sure you read all stickies and other information and do proper risk calculations and have ways to handle for things to go wrong.

ChrisRJ

Wizard

seanmcg182

Dabbler
6 cores? How much co-stop are you seeing? I would suggest to start with 2 unless you do transcodes(I would have a separate VM for that anyway).
Pretty sure vmx is 10G, it is for me with vmxnet 3. So I would not try to force it to go 1G.

I am not up to date for v12 but look around for bug reports concerning speed.

While I don't agree that you can't run it in a VM, do make sure you read all stickies and other information and do proper risk calculations and have ways to handle for things to go wrong.
Not seeing any Co-Stop that I'm aware of... Took this attached screenshot during a test file transfer just for you (and others) to examine if desired.
As for forcing the speed, it didn't work anyways, as stated.
And to the best of my knowledge, everything except the network transfer speed is working perfectly in the VM :)

seanmcg182

Dabbler
Please have a look at https://www.truenas.com/community/t...uide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714 for specific aspects of running TrueNAS in a VM
Thank you for this link.
I just examined it, and it is older, but it appears I have satisfied all the recommendations. Using ESXi as the hypervisor, and passthrough is functioning fine.

I also have Sinarr, Radarr, and Sabnzbd on it, and downloading/unpacking files runs really smoothly, as those are all also VM'ed in ESXi...

The issue appears to only affect data when talking to my Windows machine