Slow transfer speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilepton

Dabbler
This is my first build and currently I'm in the testing/burn in phase. I'm getting ~12Mb/s transfer speeds on both CIFS and FTP and I expect something isn't right since people here get much higher speeds.

My build:
  • Supermicro MBD-X10SLL-F-O MicroATX LGA1150 Server Motherboard
  • Intel Pentium Processor G3220 3.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646G3220
  • Crucial 8GB Single DDR3L 1600MT/s PC3-12800 DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT102472BD160B
  • Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply
  • 4X 2TB WD Red drives (in a RAID-Z2 configuration, no encryption)
  • 8GB Sandisk USB flash drive
  • APC BE750G UPS
Network topology:
There is a Linksys WRT54G series router degraded to a switch (running dd-wrt, wifi disabled). This switch is central to the components discussed here (all traffic passes through it). The components are a Verizon router (Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I), the NAS box, and an HP G60 530US laptop. All connections are over ethernet (some or all CAT5). Only one of the LAN ports on the NAS box is used (for IPMI and regular traffic). The HP laptop has a Realtek PCIe FE family controller.

I tried copying a 1.5GB file in the following scenarios:
  • CIFS to and from laptop: 11-13 MB/s
  • FTP to and from laptop: 12 MiB/s
  • Different partitions on the laptop: 37-40 MB/s
  • Same folder on the laptop: 52 MB/s
I also tried copying from another HP desktop (connected directly to the Verizon router, not sure about NIC but a regular consumer one) using CIFS and get the same 11-13 MB/s speed.
I'm not sure if it helps but I also did a speed test (speedtest.net) from the laptop and got 41.2 Mbps up/61.3 Mbps down.

Why can't my transfer speeds surpass 13 MB/s?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
This is pretty much exactly the throughput of a 100 Mb/s link (12.5 MB/s) so I assume some part of the chain in your network is not Gigabit compatible or is degraded to 100M because of poor quality cables for example (you need CAT5E or better for a gigabit network).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The Linksys router is only 100mb/s.

eddie200112

Contributor
Im having the exact same problem. only 11-12MB/sec to and from my pc to the FreeNAS, but I can get 50MB/sec to and from my PC to my HTPC. I have Cat6 cabling, and a gigabit switch.. All MOBOS have Gbe Ethernet. what else could it be? crappy cabling?

Bidule0hm

You've checked that the negotiated speed is 1 G and not 100 M?

eddie200112

Contributor
How do I check that? is that in freenas or in my switch settings?

Bidule0hm

On the switch you should have some status LEDs, usually one is for activity and the other for the speed. The color of the speed LED gives the speed, of course it's different for every switch model, you need to read the manual to know.

Or/and, you can see it on FreeNAS with the ifconfig command, it's in the media line ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
On the switch you should have some status LEDs, usually one is for activity and the other for the speed. The color of the speed LED gives the speed, of course it's different for every switch model, you need to read the manual to know.

Or the label every switch I've ever seen has. Heck, even many/most NICs have a label pressed into their slot cover plates.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Or the label every switch I've ever seen has. Heck, even many/most NICs have a label pressed into their slot cover plates.
The label didn't mean it's working at that speed. The light or ifconfig will actually tell you the negotiated speed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The label didn't mean it's working at that speed. The light or ifconfig will actually tell you the negotiated speed.
I meant that the label will say which color is used for Gigabit. ;)

eddie200112

Contributor
Well my manual says that if they are running at 1gbe that the speed light should be green and they all are.. Amy CIFS settings I should have modified? Do I have to do something in the freeNAS networking settings?
Its a D-link DGS-2208, and my wifi router is a D-link DIR-655 if that matters although nothing connects directy to it.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Try switch your cables around and see if that helps, maybe you have a bad cable. Also what hardware do you have? @eddie200112 you should probably start your own thread since your issues isn't related to this thread.

eddie200112

Contributor
ok my apologies, will do.

eddie200112

Contributor
OK thanks anyway found out it was my crappy cable making skills..

Status
Not open for further replies.