Slow transfer speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Hello all. I am getting really slow transfer speeds over my wifi network. Like painfully slow. According to freenas my download speed is only 5mpbs. Moving a 1gb file to the share via SMB in windows 10 is crawling at 3mb/s. Doing a Macrium image backup is blazing fast at 4.6mb/s and capping out at 6mb/s. My NAS specs are in my signature or at least they should be.

I whole heartedly know that something is messed up somewhere. But if ANYONE can help I would greatly appreciate it.

I know wifi isnt super fast normally but i should be getting more speed.

The share is 2 HGST NAS drives 7200rpm 6tb drives mirrored. Wireless N 2.4ghz chipset in the laptop I am transfering from. Only 1 line into the server. FIOS network is 980/880mpbs

If any other relevant info is needed I can provide that as well.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

kdragon75

Wizard
I know wifi isnt super fast normally but i should be getting more speed.
What makes you think that? What does an internet speed test show? Have you tested with a cable?

kdragon75

Wizard
Wireless N is normally about 300 megabits/s, real speeds are half that at best, add in ANY other devices connected to the wifi (cell phone, tablet, smart home anything) and divide by that number (not exactly but if you have one bad device or interference, or a brazilian other things) 300/2/2=75/8=9.37megabytes/s. I have a commercial AP with MIMO AC and long range antenna. I get slightly better than your speeds. Sometimes I spike to 30MB/s.
Wifi is why I'm running 10gbe fiber into my office.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
So wireless N is my culprit. Also the fact that my dumb laptop wont connect to my 5ghz network for some reason or another

kdragon75

Wizard
Yeah probably. Test with cable and be amazed at 112MBps

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Also... This laptop only does Fast Ethernet from what I am gathering. Speed test is maxing out at 95mpbs transfer speed is now roughly 11-12mb/s. Hilariously my 2008 MacMini can do gigabit ethernet but this 2014 Lenovo cant. Explains everything

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Now its getting 17mb/s somehow... Really cant wait to add 10gbe fiber to my NAS and main desktop...

kdragon75

Wizard

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
I switched to ethernet. Its connected to a ubiquiti 8 port gigabit switch but the adapter on the laptop is only 10/100. So in theory my max should have been around 12mb/s max... I looked up the specs for the eth. Adapter and its a FastEthernet adapter. Strange beast.

kdragon75

Wizard
I think you just need a new laptop!

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
My main laptop is now a 2011 Macbook Pro. Just waiting for the new battery to arrive so I can put it back into service. Totally helped me solve the slow time machine backups as well. Limits of wireless N and the 2.5ghz spectrum.

kdragon75

Wizard
Yeah, its like I said. The 2.4 is kinda like a rave party, so much noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.