Transfer speeds top out at ~13.5 MB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirkalilk47

Cadet
Hello guys,
fairly new to freeNAS.
I'm running FreeNAS on a TS 440 with xeon 1225 v3.
I have it pretty much set the way I want it for now as my plex server but my transfer speeds top out at 13.,5 MB/s.
And I get some occasional stutters when watching movies on Plex that are 10-15 GB big.
On the PC that I'm transferring from I'm using a wireless card :
TP-LINK Archer T2U AC600 which should be able to do 5GHz (433Mbps)
On the Plex client I'm using an Amazon Firestick
My router is the Verizon FIOS Quantum modem which says I should be able to 800 mbps wirelessly
I thought I did my research before buying this TS 440 and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be having these issues.
Any clue what would be causing the slowdowns?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Wireless connections are for ease of use not performance. Check your connection and congestion in your area. If you have even 1 single overlapping network you will see performance drops.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

amirkalilk47

Cadet
OK so it seems like wifi is my issue.
thanx for the suggestion to try a transfer hard wired into the router.
So now that I know the cause of slow transfer, what do I do about it?
Is there a better card I can get to get better speeds?
With my laptop right next to the router on wifi I got up to 19 MB/s
That shouldn't cause stutter on plex, should it?
How can I tell if the plex stutters are CPU or Network related?

Attachments

• gigabit.JPG
    gigabit.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 244

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The solution.. don't use wifi. It's a convenience technology, not a performance technology. Wifi absolutely can cause stutter if there is major latency and need to retransmit lots of packets. The solution is to lower the throughput needed for your videos by transcoding them to a lower bitrate.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
So now that I know the cause of slow transfer, what do I do about it?
The best you can do is make sure that you have your WiFi gear optimally configured:
  1. If you don't have anything using older standards, such as 802.11b or 802.11b, disable them.
  2. Survey the channels in use in your vicinity and keep as far away as possible from the channels with the strongest signals.
  3. Test performance on 2.4GHz and 5GHz and stick with the one that works best. 5GHz is nominally faster but doesn't penetrate as well, so sometimes 2.4GHz is the better choice. Lower numbered channels penetrate better than higher channels. If you have cordless phones or a baby monitor in the house, figure out what channel they use.
I stream raw DVD rips from FreeNAS to an old Mac mini over 5GHz 802.11n on channel 36 without any stuttering. The FreeNAS is hard wired to a Linksys EA4500 set up in bridge (aka access point) mode.
The solution is to lower the throughput needed for your videos by transcoding them to a lower bitrate.
And this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.