Transfer Speeds stuck at 5MB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ1989

Dabbler
I got lazy and slept in before having to be to work tonight so I wont be able to get the crossover cable until tomorrow, however.

I thought there was no way I had CAT5 cable but I did have some of it, so I trashed that. Right now I have CAT6 going to the server, and CAT5E going from the Linksys WRT310N router to the comcast modem, and I used an extra CAT5E to connect to my laptop from the router. With the CAT5E connected to the laptop I got:

TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[164] local 192.168.1.101 port 50614 connected with 192.168.1.145 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[164] 0.0-10.0 sec 110 MBytes 91.9 Mbits/sec

Is that still a little slow? I guess not though, my LAN is only rated at 100Mb/s wired according to my task manager.

Without the Cat5E connected just using my laptops 150Mb/s wireless I got:

------------------------------------------------------------
[164] local 192.168.1.148 port 50651 connected with 192.168.1.145 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[164] 0.0-10.0 sec 42.0 MBytes 35.2 Mbits/sec

35.2Mb/s out of a 150Mb/s network??? I don't understand why the slower wired network is running faster. It must be time for a new laptop.. I'm guessing my laptop is the bottleneck?

JJ1989

Dabbler
Ok, so I decided I don't need the crossover cable, since I'm not going to get more than 100Mb/s due to my laptops LAN not being a gigabit (and it's not the kind you can swap.) I don't think it's worth it to upgrade the wireless card since there's clearly too much interference, The highest I got was 44Mb/s with a 150Mb/s Wifi NIC by changing the router to N only 40 mhz wide frequency and tinkering with the other frequencies the 1-9 and low and high end (I had to switch that back anyway because other computers on my network can't connect to N.) I must have been getting the slow wired speeds before because the old crappy CAT5 cables.

Solution: I'm buying a USB 2.0 gigabit ethernet adapter for $20 with shipping, of course USB can only go 480Mb/s so I wont get the full gigabit but it's still faster than the 100Mb/s I'm getting through my ethernet port. I decided to do this because for one, a new laptop is expensive and would hardly be any better than the one I got now (with my upgraded HDD and RAM), and two, http://www.pcworld.com/article/248270/full_steam_ahead_for_gigabit_wireless_report_says.html When laptops with that become affordable in a year or two, then I'll get a new one :) with gigabit wireless :DDDD.

I suggest editing: http://www.freenas.org/images/resou...guide_web.html#__RefHeading__10061_2120221432
The way it's written is kind of confusing. First, tell users how to figure out what their link(media?) name is, somehow I figured out mine was re0 (I don't remember how), and even then the 'ifconfig -a grep media' didn't work, and I got the readout telling me it was gigabit from the last line of 'ifconfig media' in my case 'ifconfig re0'.

Furthermore, I suggest also adding in the part about using iperf to check your ACTUAL network speed. That is, to do iperf -s from the shell (and to end is ctrl+c then enter when done, I rebooted the server a few times after getting stuck there and not knowing how to exit) then downloading the iperf client and running it from another PC with iperf -c (ipaddressofNAS).

Papa

Dabbler
I have much the same challange speed wise as does JJ1989 - With an upload speed of 8.915 Mbps and a Read speed of 86.311 . I have configured and reconfigured my 8.03 system in attempts to regain some speed from my gigabit setup as I had with the earlier version of FN. I have a Linux box (SME server Beta 8) sitting right next to it on the same switch and have a file upload speed to a share of 569.329. I hear from fellow Domain Admins that this is typical of the samba issues through FreeBSD. Would be willing to expolore different setup possibilities to bring this NAS into usable speed range - before searching for other possible alternatives.

Yep, my first post here, but dont let the low number fool you - not my first rodeo.

JJ1989

Dabbler
Papa, for one, you should probably start a new post. Second, did you read my last post? Run iperf to see what your speeds are on that, if they're slow then check to see if Freenas is recognizing your gigabit NIC. You didn't mention your hardware, does it meet the minimum requirements for Freenas 8? Are you trying to connect wirelessly or is the entire interface you're testing your uploading/downloading on wired? Are the wires CAT5, CAT5E, or CAT6?

These are just a few questions you should probably address so that someone may be of assistance :P

Papa

Dabbler
Papa, for one, you should probably start a new post. Second, did you read my last post? Run iperf to see what your speeds are on that, if they're slow then check to see if Freenas is recognizing your gigabit NIC. You didn't mention your hardware, does it meet the minimum requirements for Freenas 8? Are you trying to connect wirelessly or is the entire interface you're testing your uploading/downloading on wired? Are the wires CAT5, CAT5E, or CAT6?

These are just a few questions you should probably address so that someone may be of assistance :P

Thanks,
JJ, you are right about one thing - starting a new post was possibly a good idea, but hey. What you didn't note was my last comment about this not being my first rodeo - and the comment about "my fellow Domain Admins" may have given a clue that maybe I do this every day all day long for a living (no sense in touting the alphabet soup behind my name and title its all booring anyway).

But thanks JJ for the offer to assist. I can honestly say those options you brought up are well covered.

That said - anybody with a direction to pursue?

JJ1989

Dabbler
Well if you figure anything out, especially in regards to higher speeds wirelessly, let me know :p

Papa

Dabbler
Will Do - good luck with yours.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.