5MB/s Transfer Speed on New FreeNAS Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
All, I just created my first FreeNAS box and I love it! It all seems to be working well and I have no complaints other than the transfer speeds. I am seeing a maximum of ~5MB/s write speeds to the FreeNAS box. I'll list the box details below. My network has two 100MB/s switches, so I know I wouldn't get over 90MB/s or anything fancy until I upgrade some networking equipment, but 5MB/s seems awfully slow. It takes 15+ minutes to write a large movie file. What gives? I have experienced this problem from two different computers writing to the FreeNAS.

• motherboard: ASRock E3V5 WS
  • CPU: i3-6100T
  • RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 ECC @2133
  • hard drives:4x8TB WD Red in ZFS1 and 1x120GB Samsung 840 EVO for jails
  • hard disk controllers: all 5 on the motherboard
  • network cards: built in port on mobo
If there are any details I am missing I'd be glad to add them. Help!

scrappy

Patron
Usually when network gear states 10/100/1000 speeds, it's in Megabits per second, not Megabytes. Therefore, 12.5 MB/s is the theoretical limit of a 100BASE-T switch.

Usually when network gear states 10/100/1000 speeds, it's in Megabits per second, not Megabytes. Therefore, 12.5 MB/s is the theoretical limit of a 100BASE-T switch.
That would sure do it! I don't have a lot of traffic on the network, but still 50% of max port speed would make sense given other traffic and overheard on the network. Better get to those network updates!

Stux

MVP

mikensan

Dabbler
I assume your source (desktop?) and the FreeNAS box both have gigabit NICs, set the IP addresses manually and connect them directly to one another and try again. 100mbit switches are old, who is to say they're in perfect working order?

Status
Not open for further replies.