slow transfer Speeds on other computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
Hi, I am a big FreeNAS noob.

we have a FreeNAS-9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64 (e625626) set up and running. When I transfer a file (~2GB) from the FreeNAS to my desktop computer (Killer e2200 NIC, Windows 8) I get about 70 MB/s , but when I transfer a file of that size from the FreeNAS to my laptops (LAN, Windows 7 & Windows 8) then the transfer speeds drop to about 8-10 MB/s. Please help!

FreeNAS build:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
8GB RAM
ZFS Software Raid 5
MB: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
NIC: Realtek 8111D
No hardware Raid controller.

Using a Verizon Fios router and all devices were connected by a lan cable.

This is my iperf data:
Code:
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[184]  0.0- 1.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  1.0- 2.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  2.0- 3.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  3.0- 4.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  4.0- 5.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  5.0- 6.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  6.0- 7.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  7.0- 8.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  8.0- 9.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  9.0-10.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  0.0-10.0 sec  1120 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
server sent unexpected data failed
Done.

I see that the connection keeps failing at the end. I have ran the iperf a few times and it keep failing at the end like that. Anybody feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Realtek GbE. What did you expect?

Edit: Realtek AND Killer?

Boy, that is a craptastic set of network hardware (no offense meant, my desktop has crummy Realtek GbE as well).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hi, I am a big FreeNAS noob.

You don't need to tell us that. We can tell from your choice of hardware (hint: none of it is anything we recommend).

Eric basically provided the answer.. use proper hardware to expect proper performance.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
Realtek GbE. What did you expect?

Edit: Realtek AND Killer?

Boy, that is a craptastic set of network hardware (no offense meant, my desktop has crummy Realtek GbE as well).
i had no idea! but with my killer nic, i get good transfer speeds from my nas (~70MB/s) so it can't be that crappy, can it?
anyway, i guess i'm buying a new nic for my nas this black friday.

You don't need to tell us that. We can tell from your choice of hardware (hint: none of it is anything we recommend).

Eric basically provided the answer.. use proper hardware to expect proper performance.
lol thanx. Can always count on you for your honesty. i appreciate that and had a good little chuckle.

I guess, this is where I tell you guys my little freenas story about how I didn't have money and I just used a computer lying around our house that we weren't using. but do you guys think if I just put in a nice new nic that'll do the trick or at least benefit it the most? Basically, if you guys had to upgrade one thing, what would it be?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
i had no idea! but with my killer nic, i get good transfer speeds from my nas (~70MB/s) so it can't be that crappy, can it?
anyway, i guess i'm buying a new nic for my nas this black friday.

lol thanx. Can always count on you for your honesty. i appreciate that and had a good little chuckle.

I guess, this is where I tell you guys my little freenas story about how I didn't have money and I just used a computer lying around our house that we weren't using. but do you guys think if I just put in a nice new nic that'll do the trick or at least benefit it the most? Basically, if you guys had to upgrade one thing, what would it be?

It's not ideal, but it's a start. It makes it usable, but doesn't make it safe. ECC RAM (so basically new motherboard+CPU+RAM) would make it safe (well, safe enough to build on, but nothing is truly safe).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
An Intel NIC may help your network throughput (70MB/sec isn't particularly great.. I can routinely get over 100MB/sec on Intel).

As for reliability, Ericloewe covered that with "buy a whole new system". I'm sure you won't do that, but if you lose your data later (or have other random problems) don't be surprised if the answer is "buy new hardware silly!" We've been on this ride long enough to know better and we don't spend time troubleshooting problems with desktop hardware. Too often it's because of the hardware itself and can't be fixed easily (or at all).

Fanterrific

Dabbler
Thanx guys. Appreciate your feedbacks. After seeing your hardware recommendations in your signature block, I am going to scrounge up some money and get a reliable system.

But will i be able to just move my raid Z setup over to the new system? like plug my 3 hdds into the new system and then touch up some settings to get it up and running? Also, is it recommended that I use a raid controller or can I just plug my hdds into my sata ports on my mb and be good to go?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanx guys. Appreciate your feedbacks. After seeing your hardware recommendations in your signature block, I am going to scrounge up some money and get a reliable system.

But will i be able to just move my raid Z setup over to the new system? like plug my 3 hdds into the new system and then touch up some settings to get it up and running? Also, is it recommended that I use a raid controller or can I just plug my hdds into my sata ports on my mb and be good to go?

You can just move over the pool and it'll work (though RAIDZ2 is safer).

Motherboard SATA is fine, you do not want a RAID controller. Read the SATA/SAS portion of the hardware sticky for details.

Mlovelace

Guru
You might want to check the negotiated link speed between the laptops and your router. The 8-10 Mbyte/sec transfer speed could be a 10/100 connection being pulled by the laptop LAN nic.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
You can just move over the pool and it'll work (though RAIDZ2 is safer).

Motherboard SATA is fine, you do not want a RAID controller. Read the SATA/SAS portion of the hardware sticky for details.
Thank you.

I ordered my parts along the guidelines of the hardware recommendations. thank you all!

Fanterrific

Dabbler
Hi again. I am done with my build and configurations (i think), but I am still getting subpar transfer speeds. here is an iperf:
Code:
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[184]  0.0- 1.0 sec  25.7 MBytes  25.7 MBytes/sec
[184]  1.0- 2.0 sec  26.2 MBytes  26.2 MBytes/sec
[184]  2.0- 3.0 sec  25.9 MBytes  25.9 MBytes/sec
[184]  3.0- 4.0 sec  25.9 MBytes  25.9 MBytes/sec
[184]  4.0- 5.0 sec  26.0 MBytes  26.0 MBytes/sec
[184]  5.0- 6.0 sec  92.5 MBytes  92.5 MBytes/sec
[184]  6.0- 7.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  7.0- 8.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  8.0- 9.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  9.0-10.0 sec   112 MBytes   112 MBytes/sec
[184]  0.0-10.0 sec   671 MBytes  67.1 MBytes/sec
server sent unexpected data failed
Done.

still getting that error at the end for some reason. could it be because I am using a verizon fios router?

also, here's my new hardware:
SERVER_MB SUPERMICRO|MBD-X9SCM-F-O
2x MEM 8G KINGSTON | KVR16E11/8KF RT (16GB total)
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
3x Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200 RPM ST3000DM001 (from previous system)

Is there anything else I post here to give you a better idea of my settings and configurations?
thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Fanterrific

Dabbler
just in case someone was looking for answers to this issue, my speeds are where they should be at ~100MB/s now. The slow transfer speeds were all due to the verizon fios router I had from actiontec.

I have the TWC router now after switching providers and my speeds are great at ~100MB/s so in conclusion, the verizon fios actiontec router was the culprit. hope this helps someone.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do yourself a favor and plug everything into a GbE switch and avoid problems caused by crappy ISP devices.

Fanterrific

Dabbler
lol yeah. I was just using the crappy ISP devices to save money because I dropped so much cash on my FreeNAS build. I knew they were pretty crappy, but I didn't know how crappy they really were until now. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.