Help - wireless upload speeds to NAS very slow; download rate satisfying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl4ckShadow

Dabbler
Hello,

a few weeks ago I bought the new Dell XPS15 9560 laptop, installing the Intel AC-8265 wireless card in it.
As I backup my laptop regularly to my NAS in the local network via wifi, I especially need acceptable upload speeds.

I tested the upload- and download-speeds with the following parameters:
* close position to router (AVM 7490); signal strength very good
* connected via 5,2GHz
* no crowded wireless network or impact of other network participants
* Laptop: WIN10 1703, all recent updates and drivers installed
* transferred file: one 1,2GB movie file (no fragmented little data pieces)
* NAS: FreeNAS 9.10 connected to router
* no energy saving settings activated; all on high performance

Download
speed from server to laptop: 500-550 Mbit/s (very nice)
Upload speed from laptop to server: 140 Mbit/s (unacceptable)

For quite some time I thought the issue must be the router or the laptop/wireless card itself but then I discovered that when I test the upload with another NAS I have standing around here (QNAP TS-469 Pro) my download AND upload speed get to around 500 Mbit/s. Meaning that something is "wrong" with the FreeNAS. However when I transfer data via gigabit ethernet cable to my FreeNAS-server, I get 970 Mbit/s upload and around 970 Mbit/s download rate.

Where is the culprit? I am trying to find a solution to this for almost three weeks now and so far nothing helped! I really hope, someone can help me.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards

____
My system:
FreeNAS 9.10 stable
2x WD40EFRX mirrored
Intel i3-6100 CPU
16GB DDR4 ECC RAM
Supermicro X11-SSL-F

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
wifi is not designed to be fast or consistent. It is meant to be easy to setup and use. Expect zero performance from it and just be happy it works.

If you want to test network performance you need to use the correct tool and that that tool is iperf. So get that working and test things on your network if you want to wast your time with wifi performance.

melloa

Wizard
However when I transfer data via gigabit ethernet cable to my FreeNAS-server, I get 970 Mbit/s upload and around 970 Mbit/s download rate.

That's your answer. FreeNAS is working as design. I'd invest (investigate) WiFi.

styno

Patron
FWIW I was never able to get stable WiFi transfers with my Dell XPS 15 9530. If you happen to find a solution, please let me know ;-)

Yeang

Cadet
Hi there,
I found your post as I had the EXACT same problem with the Intel 8265 card with a FreeNAS 9.10 server. Like yourself, download speeds were great at 40-50MB/sec. Upload speeds were at 4-5MB/sec via 802.11ac, full speed (100+MB/sec) via 1000BaseT.

I tried just about everything on the Internet, including attempting to roll back driver versions, changing MTUs, disabling Rsc etc etc. Nothing worked. This was also with the latest Intel PROSET driver downloaded.

I finally solved the problem by going to Device Manager -> Driver and selecting Update Driver. Automatic search updated the driver for my 8265 to 19.80.0.3 via Microsoft. This fixed it. Now I am getting about 18-20MB/sec upload and 40-50MB/sec download.

Yeang

Status
Not open for further replies.