8TB drives not showing up in FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a build running FreeNAS 11.1 with a Supermicro 846 box and a SAS2 backplane. There are three M1015's (SAS9220-8i model in IT mode, firmware P20 on all 3). The system itself is two X5660s running on top of a Supermicro X8DTN+ with 72GB of ECC RAM. Doing a RAIDZ2+0 pool with two 10 drive RAIDZ2 vdevs. The second vdev is all 4TB Reds, whilst the first is eight 4TB Reds and two 8TB reds that replaced bad drives and I'm currently in the process of upgrading the rest of the first vdev with 8TB drives in order to gain more space. The replacing of the two bad 4TB drives happened earlier this week. I was going ahead with the process and put in the third 8TB drive in order to replace the next 4TB (the first of the okay ones in vdev0) to continue with upgrading, but the 8TB does not show up in FreeNAS.

24qA5wP.png

Figure 1: Old Setup

85ehgxD.png

Figure 2: Current Setup

Above is a picture of the setup. Green and blue are vdev's 0 and 1. Red is unused but working part of the backplane (it's where I put in new drives to do a safe replacement). In figure 2, purple are 8TB drives working just fine in vdev 0. In order to replace the previous bad drives, I put an 8TB into the red space and replaced it with the inbuilt function with no issue. I was going to do that again, but now it won't show up. To clarify, I've tried putting a third 8TB drive into any of the open red spaces, but they do not show up in the volume manager or as a disk to replace with. Other drives, including a 640GB, a 3TB, and a 4TB do show up, however. I've checked with 2 drives so far on my desktop computer and they do in fact show up fine so they shouldn't be DOA.

Advice?

joeschmuck

Old Man
So the new 8TB drives are not showing up to FreeNAS.

Are you powering down the system to reaplce the drives?
Have you tried one of the new drives in one of the in one of the Purple locations? (P.S. your second image did not post) In other words, do the currently operating 8TB drives work in any other location you have tried or do the new 8TB drives work in a previous location where 8TB drives are known to work fine?

I unfortunately don't know a lot about backplanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.