6 GIG and Direct Connections, Network Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltech

Cadet
So I am building a FreeNAS box for a contract job with the primary usage being a file-sharing and video edit storage machine. The plan is to have an Intel Quad Gig Nic that will be solely for direct connections to the two trashcan mac pros the editors are using. The MoBo port will be for connection to the internet. What are the recommendations on configuration to allow internet passthrough and full 2GIG throughput to each Mac Pro.

Stux

MVP
Use thunderbolt 10gbe Adapters

caltech

Cadet
That is not in our budget and frankly the amount of data they are going to be streaming the 2GB per device is going to be more than enough... the big question is how can I allow network pass-though on the mobo nic through the quad nic to the macs to allow connection to the nas and the internet simultaneously.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You could, but you really shouldn't.

What you can do and isn't a horrible idea is to have direct connections on dedicated subnets for each client. This is generally done with 10GbE to avoid a full 10GbE-capable network, but would work here.

caltech

Cadet
Okay, so avoiding 10gbe and just using onboard NICS, could we just team the nics together get a switch that supports bonded connections and then use the server's 5 gige ports to plug into said switch. Then that would give the network 5gbe to the server over copper 4 of which being used by the mac pro's and one being used for misc and internet connections and the macs would all be on the same network?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay, so avoiding 10gbe and just using onboard NICS, could we just team the nics together get a switch that supports bonded connections and then use the server's 5 gige ports to plug into said switch. Then that would give the network 5gbe to the server over copper 4 of which being used by the mac pro's and one being used for misc and internet connections and the macs would all be on the same network?
No. That's the dream. Reality is that you need some 10 clients before link aggregation provides tangible benefits. The only good way of making things faster is 10GbE.

caltech

Cadet
Well I appreciate it guys! If we go 10gbe what is the best way to get that into the mac pro's other than a $600+ adapter?

Stux

MVP
If you put 10gbe into the server and connect the clients by 1gbe to a 10gbe switch, all the clients will get full gigabit.

If you want to add 10gbe to the macs you can get 10gbe thunderbolt adapters. They’re exxy tho

I’d start with the 10gbe on the server and a 10gbe switch.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Intel Quad Gig Nic that will be solely for direct connections to the two trashcan mac pros the editors are using
Best bet is to get a real computer and put those "trashcan mac pros" in the trash.

Stux

MVP

danb35

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That's a pretty ignorant remark.
How many PCIe expansion cards can you put inside the chassis? (rhetorical question, I already know)
If the answer is less than one it is worthless as anything but a laptop.
My opinion of those "trashcan" computers is entirely based on their ignorant design.
The previous generation Mac Pro was a really good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.