Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.
10 Gig Networking Primer

10 Gig Networking Primer

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What you do is you look for information about the seller.

The seller who has a name like shiningrainbow2021 and is selling x520 cards alongside sandals, electric foot massagers, and fashionable purses is a questionable seller who may be getting knockoff crap shipped from Asia by the containerful. They will have usually very positive feedback figures in like the five or six digits.

The seller who has lots of computer parts being sold by "recycleit" and has used Supermicro, Dell, HP chassis available in large quantity that appear to be of a 4-to-8-year vintage, where they've clearly taken a server and broken it up into parts, and are selling the chassis, the memory, the hard drives, the hard drive trays, the add-in cards, cables, maybe network switches and other data center miscellanea. These people are parts'ing up used data center gear, and the stuff is going to be the real deal. They typically have only been on eBay a year or two, don't have a lot of feedback, but the feedback that's there is often less than stellar. This is because those of us who buy professionally in the used market often don't leave feedback, we're just happy with what we get, but there are morons who buy stuff that they don't understand, it's perfectly good stuff but they are not able to use it. So you get this weird effect where they seem to have unreasonable feedback rates until you actually look at the feedback, where I typically roll through and go "moron ... moron ... idjit ... seriously?" I do take lucid, cogent, plausible, properly spelled feedback into account, especially where there is some sort of "DOA warranty" that isn't being honored, or stuff is shipped badly, because that is a red flag.

I'm sorry if that sounds cynical or insulting to eBay buyers, but quite frankly I have had pretty good luck with this sort of strategy. We buy lots of stuff used. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but vetting your sellers to be legitimate recyclers is one of the best ways to avoid fakes.

Riddick

Can someone help me?
I recently ordered the Intel Ethernet X710DA2 SVR with 2 Ubiquiti UF-MM-10G sfp+
Freenas told me the media type is not supported.

I'm not sure, can i use fiber optics with this card? if yes, which sfp+ i should buy? Maybe i just ordered the wrong.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Intel makes the Intel X710DA2, so one would expect Intel optics to work with it.

From Intel's tech support site:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

It says, in part,
  • Intel® Ethernet SFP+ SR Optics and Intel® Ethernet SFP+ LR Optics are the only 10-Gbps optical modules supported. You can purchase these modules separately.
  • You can't use other brands of SFP+ (10 Gbps) modules with these adapters.
  • Tested modules are listed in the Intel® Product Compatibility Tool.

• Other brands of SFP+ optical modules don't work with the Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (Intel® Ethernet CNA) X710 Series. You must use the listed Intel® SFP+ SR or LR Optics.
The Product Compatibility Tool can be used to check for compatibility. I would also expect that Intel-coded generic optics from someplace like fs.com would work, as would used eBay optics, both of which should be substantially less expensive than new Intel optics.

Riddick

Intel makes the Intel X710DA2, so one would expect Intel optics to work with it.

From Intel's tech support site:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

It says, in part,
  • Intel® Ethernet SFP+ SR Optics and Intel® Ethernet SFP+ LR Optics are the only 10-Gbps optical modules supported. You can purchase these modules separately.
  • You can't use other brands of SFP+ (10 Gbps) modules with these adapters.
  • Tested modules are listed in the Intel® Product Compatibility Tool.

• Other brands of SFP+ optical modules don't work with the Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (Intel® Ethernet CNA) X710 Series. You must use the listed Intel® SFP+ SR or LR Optics.
The Product Compatibility Tool can be used to check for compatibility. I would also expect that Intel-coded generic optics from someplace like fs.com would work, as would used eBay optics, both of which should be substantially less expensive than new Intel optics.
Thank you! Other question, if i use the Intel SFP+ and on the other side of the fiber the Ubiquiti 10g SFP+ should it work?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Thank you! Other question, if i use the Intel SFP+ and on the other side of the fiber the Ubiquiti 10g SFP+ should it work?
Yes. AFAIK, the vendor lock non-sense only applies to the transceiver. So as long as a "intel" transceiver is shoved into a "Intel" SFP+ slot on one end and a "Mikrotik" transceiver is shoved into a "Mikrotik" SFP+ slot on the other end, the connection should be fine. That's what I have here.

The only complication I have encountered is SFP+ transceivers not playing nice with SFP slots (which I mistakenly thought were SFP+). That was a dumb oversight on my part. In other words, do not assume that a 10GbE transceiver can work in a SFP slot (it won't) nor that a 10GbE transceiver in a SFP+ slot can "throttle down" to a 1GbE connection speed (many don't, and those that do, advertise it). I have some Intel transcievers here that can run at 1 or 10GbE, which is a nice-to-have.

Plenty of folk can sell you either a used genuine Intel transceiver or faked new ones that have a Intel vendor ID burned into them.

Last edited: