FreeNAS and Samba (SMB) permissions (Video)

[Resource] FreeNAS and Samba (CIFS) permissions (Video) [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0nkey_

MVP
UPDATE! The contents of this how-to has been moved to the resources section of this forum.

Please see https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-cifs-permissions-video.8/ for updates. This thread can be used to discuss the videos.

Mod note: This is now an official XenForo discussion thread, so you can just use the tabs above to navigate to the Resource proper.

---
This is a topic that keeps coming up, new users get confused with a multitude of different options when configuring a Samba (CIFS) share in FreeNAS. Today, I've created a video demonstrating how to set-up a Samba share which can be accessed by multiple users, allowing each user to read/write to the dataset.

Hopefully some of you will find this useful, while others may not, simply because you're already doing things right and don't need help on this topic. I'm happy to take feedback and criticism. It's not a perfect video, it's not intended to be, it's just my personal way on how to achieve the goal.

(Also apologies, I may talk a lot in this video. I've tried to keep it as short as possible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM

I've finally got around to making a second video. This time I talk about advanced Samba permissions and how to manage them though Windows Explorer (I do ramble on again in this video, sorry.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhwOyLtArw0

Last edited by a moderator:

revert

Cadet
Great tutorial. Many thanks for such a concise walk through on this issue.

takkischitt

Explorer
Good video. I'm having an issue that I'm struggling to get answers for, which you can maybe help with. I had a FreeNAS setup which was working how I wanted. I could change permissions via WinSCP on certain folders/files allowing read only, etc etc. This meant that I could set some folder/files to be read only so staff would not be able to change or delete the files, and others where just open so that everyone could access. This was done without the users having to log in to the NAS when connecting via a Windows PC, it just set the rules for everyone. However, one of the drives failed and I had to replace it and set the system up again using a config backup and data backup of the system prior to the HDD failure. The problem is now I can't seem to set the permissions (when I log in to the system using WinSCP) the way I could before. WinSCP gives me an error. Now the folders/files are open to any sort of usage by any user.

m0nkey_

MVP
Good video. I'm having an issue that I'm struggling to get answers for, which you can maybe help with. I had a FreeNAS setup which was working how I wanted. I could change permissions via WinSCP on certain folders/files allowing read only, etc etc. This meant that I could set some folder/files to be read only so staff would not be able to change or delete the files, and others where just open so that everyone could access. This was done without the users having to log in to the NAS when connecting via a Windows PC, it just set the rules for everyone. However, one of the drives failed and I had to replace it and set the system up again using a config backup and data backup of the system prior to the HDD failure. The problem is now I can't seem to set the permissions (when I log in to the system using WinSCP) the way I could before. WinSCP gives me an error. Now the folders/files are open to any sort of usage by any user.
I suggest you create a new thread instead of hijacking this one. You're more likely to get help that way.

takkischitt

Explorer

NoTalent

Dabbler
Thanks for doing this video, I was able to sort out my permissions issue quickly! My user with permissions to the dataset could only modify top level files/folders but wasn't able to in subdirectories. I saw the 'set permission recursivley' checkbox in the dataset permissions window. I checked it and after about 10 minutes of waiting, it accepted it and now I can modify any file int he dataset!

DSL_Slaphead

Cadet
Thanks alot this video has given me a good starting point as totally new is FreeNAS and wanting to use as a simple network share for serving media etc

Appreciate the time and effort you took

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's time for the little note to go:

Please Note: This only applies to FreeNAS 9.x. I will endeavor to make a FreeNAS Corral video soon.

Mega Man

Explorer
Thanks, i know this is basic but still helpful, ! wonderful ! this was one of the issues i was having and have not had any time to fix esp with everything happened with corral and having to rebuild my freenas ( dont ask ) finally made time

Status
Not open for further replies.