Not sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

reystar

Dabbler
Hello guys

i just installed FreeNAS, created datasheets and users following this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM

Though, when i use \\FREENAS\Movies\ to mount a drive, it wouldn't authenticate my details, it would say "the network folder specified is currently mapped using a different name and password", but when i use the freenas's IP (\\192.168.2.56\Movies\) it will connect and authenticate...

Also, i can get into the shared folders without asking for a login username and password. I have disabled guest access so it should ask me to login everytime

What's the problem here?

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard
Not sure how you've created the dataset/share/assigned to user. The video uses an approach that I never used opening to anybody on a group you'd create and add the group to the users you'd like to have access.

But anyway, I only got the above error when during tests I had mapped the drive with another user, not the one I was actually logged on my workstation. I'd think the best way to check if that's what's happening with you is to open a DOS prompt and check the output for net use.

reystar

Dabbler
Not sure how you've created the dataset/share/assigned to user. The video uses an approach that I never used opening to anybody on a group you'd create and add the group to the users you'd like to have access.

But anyway, I only got the above error when during tests I had mapped the drive with another user, not the one I was actually logged on my workstation. I'd think the best way to check if that's what's happening with you is to open a DOS prompt and check the output for net use.

I fixed it, i was using 2 dual ethernets on my PC, Killer and Intel, after unplugging Killer and rebooring NAS it worked :)

Which permissions method is the best to use?

melloa

Wizard
I fixed it, i was using 2 dual ethernets on my PC, Killer and Intel, after unplugging Killer and rebooring NAS it worked :)

Which permissions method is the best to use?

Glad you got it.

What do you mean with permissions?

melloa

Wizard
Although that setup on the video is not wrong as I can think, it only gives access to a group of users.

The way I like to do is just different:

- Create users on FN that match user/pass from the network
- Create groups for each set of users
- Create a share for each user and give access based on the username
- If a public share is needed, create a group to be added to the users as the video suggests
- If a group share is needed, create a share and give access to the group
- Have an admin group with access to all above to help move files, etc.

That allows for a management as user level, without changing any cif configuration after is set to the need.

Again, just a different way that works for me, but not applicable to all cases ;)

m0nkey_

MVP
after unplugging Killer and rebooring
They call them 'Killer' NICs for a reason, they usually kill working stuff.

Glad the video helped. Everyone has a different method with regards to setting up Samba shares and permissions. I took the Microsoft approach, Users > Group > Share.

reystar

Dabbler
They call them 'Killer' NICs for a reason, they usually kill working stuff.

Glad the video helped. Everyone has a different method with regards to setting up Samba shares and permissions. I took the Microsoft approach, Users > Group > Share.
Yup that video really helped a lot, i hope you will make more videos!

Status
Not open for further replies.