Trouble adding a user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

climb2bhi

Contributor
I have set up my NAS for Anonymous Access using the steps described in the Freenas 8 guide 7.2.2 Configuring Anonymous Access. Everything is working great on my LAN and I have mapped network drives so everything appears automatically when I open "my computer".

Now I want to allow may girlfriend to connect remotely and I have been following the guide by ProtoSD on remote access.

However I can't seem to log in (locally) using her username and password. I get an error "Username and password do not match". and can't log in. Since I just created the user and password I know they are correct. The only step I did not do from the guide is set permissions to the volume that I want her to access. This is because I have the volume permissions set up for my anonymous access. Since it is called "changing permissions" and not "adding permissions" I'm unsure what to do to get her to be able to login.

How do I give user and group "guest" permission to the same Volume as "girlfriend" "remoteshare"?

louisk

Patron
I think it would make things easier if you only have 1 kind of access. Either use anonymous, or user, but not both.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Climb,

The trick is making sure things work locally before doing the remote part. If it's setup and working locally, then the remote part shouldn't have any problem because when you're remote everything just passes through like you were local.

The username and password for windows on your girlfriends computer should be the same as the account name and password for the share you added for her on FreeNAS. The "remoteshare" user in my tutorial is just for logging in with ssh, so that shouldn't be part of the equation, but if you want to be consistent, you can change "remoteshare" to the account name you setup for your girlfriend and then change it in Tunnelier also.

ProtoSD

MVP
.... However I can't seem to log in (locally) using her username and password. I get an error "Username and password do not match". and can't log in. Since I just created the user and password I know they are correct. The only step I did not do from the guide is set permissions to the volume that I want her to access. This is because I have the volume permissions set up for my anonymous access. Since it is called "changing permissions" and not "adding permissions" I'm unsure what to do to get her to be able to login.

How do I give user and group "guest" permission to the same Volume as "girlfriend" "remoteshare"?

This is a pretty common problem, I thought it was covered in the documentation for FreeNAS. That's why in my tutorial I said to make sure things work correctly "locally" before continuing.

I suppose this is one of those questions that needs to be added to the FAQ ;)

I need to try and recreate it because for me it just worked and I don't know why people have so much trouble with this. Also, adding guest to the group permission won't help either.

EDIT: I don't know if you're testing with your Vista system, but maybe this link will help:

http://www.builderau.com.au/blogs/codemonkeybusiness/viewblogpost.htm?p=339270746

Status
Not open for further replies.