1.0.24_1 Minidlna

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMarcus

Dabbler
Hi im running 1.0.24_1 Minidlna on FreeNAS 8.3.0 Beta 2.

Hardware:
2,4 Intel Q6600 Quad Core
4GB DDR2 RAM
4 * 330GB harddrives
And 4GB USB(Jail)

The problem is that Minidlna is not serving content. I can detect the minidlna server from
upnp devices but no content is there :/

hervon

Patron
As some rude usual members would say, "This as been discussed to death, search the forum". Kidding! ;-) This is probably a mount point issue. I've been through that too. This post should help. http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7960-miniDLNA-settings-on-8-2-0-p1-Clarification-desired&p=32345&viewfull=1#post32345 Use the path within the jail.

That part help me :

Quote Originally Posted by William Grzybowski View Post
As said in another thread, the directory settings in minidlna config screen is buggy... use the path within the jail there: /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media, instead of /mnt/prime/PluginsJail/soft/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media"

iMarcus

Dabbler
I have tried and its still not serving... It has worked with transmission but not with minidlna.

Plz help !

ProtoSD

MVP
I saw your youtube comment. The video is not version specific and nothing has changed with how it works AFAIK. If it works for one plugin, there's no reason it shouldn't work for another. Post the paths you are using for source and destination.

Try doing and post results:

Code:
jexec `jls jid` ls -ld  /YOUR-DESTINATION-PATH

iMarcus

Dabbler
asked.png

joeschmuck

Old Man
@iMarcus

I tried your identical configuration with only the minidlna plugin installed. It works for me. I don't particularly like those long path names, I prefer simple /media in the jail or something off the root for simplicity. Having it nestled into the application directory just seams like trouble but as I said, it worked when I tested it.

Stupid question time (since I haven't seen it asked)... Do you have viewer compatible media in the /mnt/Public/Filmer directory? What are the file extensions and what is your viewer? In one place you say it's not serving which could be interpreted as either no media is being listed or if fails to stream the media as you expect it (not transcoding). If you're using VOB files then you should be good on any viewer however if you're using something like MKV files then your viewer needs to be able to interpret them properly.

Looking to see your response.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
.mp4 .mkv .avi
Could you answer the rest of the questions so I can offer some assistance. I know a bit about MiniDLNA and I suspect it's a simple fix but I need to know the answer to those questions I asked.

.mp4, .mkv, and depending on the format of .avi, they all typically require transcoding. If you have a PS3 then it will perform all the transcoding nicely. Many BluRay/DVD player that allow streaming will transcode as well. Very few TVs transcode and of those that do, they don't do it very well in my opinion but it's a watchable picture. I use my BluRay player for serving up media. MiniDLNA does not transcode. If you want to stay clear of transcoding then you need could convert your files to VOB format.

iMarcus

Dabbler
The problem is that no items is listed at all.

So i haven't tried to start a stream since there are no items listed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The problem is that no items is listed at all.

So i haven't tried to start a stream since there are no items listed.
Does this mean you can see the server and open it up on your device? If yes then I suspect minidlna.conf file is pointing to the wrong location where the media is located.

Would you please do these two steps and post their results...

1) While in the jail (jexec 1 csh for example), type ls /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MYMedia (your media link) and if it's empty of media then your mount point is the problem and that needs to be solved, or you don't have any media located at /mnt/Public/Filmer. If you wouldn't mind posting a partial listing of the media if it is there, that might as well shine some light on this problem.

2) If you have media listed then locate the minidlna.conf file and post it's contents as I would suspect it's not pointing to the above path and I'd like to see what it is doing.

iMarcus

Dabbler
When im doing ls /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MYMedia its empy and i now it shall not be empty...

joeschmuck

Old Man
When im doing ls /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MYMedia its empy and i now it shall not be empty...
So either your mount point is wrong or you don't have media in /mnt/Public/Filmer. If you still have multiple mount points, I recommend removing them all and recreating ONLY the one to MyMedia. If that fixes it then you need to put in a trouble ticket about the mount points.

newstartech

Dabbler
I had similar issue before. And find out the storage - volume - filesystem type must be ZFS, not UFS.

iMarcus

Dabbler
An update:
I have ZFS so thats no problems. I have now made an folder /Filmer under the jail root and mounted that to my /mnt/Public/Filmer no when im doing: jls jexec 7 csh then ls Filmer the content is displayed.
After that i made an folder /Test under /mnt/Public/Filmer and that folder displayed to upnp device. So the problem would probably be my files cant be streamed. Is there any "fix" for this or do i need to convent all files to VOB format?

I have: avi, mp4, mkv files.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't believe you have listed what device you are trying to stream the video to. Is it a TV, DVD/BluRay, PS3? Please be specific, include model number if possible.

On your main computer, do you have a video player like Windows Media Player to which you could view the video's through the DLNA connection just to ensure this is working. Even if the video cannot be viewed due to incompatible format, it should still be listed. And one trick you can try is to rename one AVI file to VOB.

For those of you who do have Windows Media Player and are looking for a really good CODEC add-on, look for media.player.codec.pack.v4.2.2
as it will also play mkv files. The only downside I've seen is subtitles may not turn off.

iMarcus

Dabbler
I have tried with my computer, psp3 slim and iPad upnp apps. No one of these devices has listed any files at all. The folder Test is detected by the upnp devices but no files. I have tried with .vob that doesn't worked :/ Really sad :/ Thinking about going to freeNAS v7 and try it out :(. Have been trying to setup freeNAS 8 correctly since August.

If anyone would be willing to try to help me through teamviewer it would be really nice. I dont want to give upp the freeNAS 8 since it seems to be more powerfull than 7series.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If anyone would be willing to try to help me through teamviewer it would be really nice. I dont want to give upp the freeNAS 8 since it seems to be more powerfull than 7series.
I'm game but I only have a few hours right now. I'll have to grab the software an load it first. If there is a window which would allow us to text to each other, that would help a lot.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I just sent you a PM with my email address in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.