miniDLNA does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasha

Dabbler
Hi,

First, I tried all suggestion I could find in this forum and the miniDLNa plugin still does not work.
I used jexec command to get to the plugin folders and created new folder, changed permissions
to 777, and mounted Media folder to it. Here is the path:

/mnt/NAS6/Media /mnt/NAS6/jail/software/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/Media True

I can see my media files when I go to /mnt/NAS6/jail/software/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/Media
folder, so the mounting worked.

Windows 7 sees the FreeNasDlna as a media device. When I click on the icon, windows Media Player starts.
If I click on "FreeNasDlna/Music" link on the left, I get a message "No files have been found on this remote library".

In the MiniDLNA configuration window, I tried both to type in the "Media directory" field to select it through GUI.
Regardles of the method used, when I reopen configuration window the path is always changed to "/media/Adams, Brian"
which is located in "/Media/Music/Adams, Brian".

I use FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (I just put together the NAS box two days ago), and minidlna-1.0.24_1-amd64.

Inoone of the forum threads, somone says to check minidlna log file to see if it is scanning the files.
However, I do not know where the log file is.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Gasha

Gasha

Dabbler
After a little bit of searcing on the web I found folowing page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MiniDLNA

I took a look into /etc/minidlna/conf file.
The media directory was set as :

media_dir=/media

I changed it to:

media_dir=A, /media/Music
media_dir=P, /media/Photos
media_dir=V, /media/Videos

Now, the miniDLNa list just music files (flac file). It still does not see photos or videos.
this is improvment over the previous situation where it did not list anything and, I
hope, a clue for a guru to tell me what is wrong in my setup.
Help me please.

Gasha

kingcharles

Dabbler
I did the same thing and added more media directories in the .conf file. But it must be done inside the jail and you need to have set up the mount points for each directory. I actually re-used a firefly mount point in the minidlna.conf file and it works fine!
MiniDLNA status
Audio files: 15551
Video files: 490
Image files: 5181

Here is how I did it:
1) Enable root password in GUI under
+Account +Admin Account +Change Password
2) SSH into your FreeNAS using the command: ssh root@192.168.1.xyz
(Use your FreeNAS IP address not the Plugin address)
3) Enter the jail using the command: jexec `jls jid` /bin/tcsh
4) Go to the right directory: cd /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/etc
5) Look at the conf file: cat minidlna.conf
6) Make backup: cp minidlna.conf minidlna.conf.orig
6) Add the directories required: vi minidlna.conf
7) restart the service: service minidlna restart
8) exit from jail: exit

Below the example of the directory structure of my minidlna.conf file:
plugins# cat minidlna.conf
media_dir=V,/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/mnt
media_dir=A,/usr/pbi/firefly-amd64/mnt
media_dir=P,/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/photos

And the mount points corresponding to the above config file (this is a copy/paste from the FreeNAS GUI!)
/mnt/ZRAID_500G /mnt/JBOD/jail/plugins/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/mnt True
/mnt/ZRAID_3TB/Muziek/Popmuziek /mnt/JBOD/jail/plugins/usr/pbi/firefly-amd64/mnt True
/mnt/ZRAID_3TB/Foto_Map/Pentax_Optio_Z10 /mnt/JBOD/jail/plugins/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/photos True

asw2012

Contributor
I've edited the minidlna.conf file inside the jail via Shell to reflect:

/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/Media/Movies
/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/Media/Music
/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/Media/Pictures

I've mounted my
/Movies
/Music
/Pictures
folders.

I get error on my server: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: the path could not be mounted]

now, I've got a folder /Media successfully mounted. Whats with the errors on the other three?

thanks.

Edit: now, I've gone back into my .conf file and its been changed been reverted to before. I've done the :x command after, and it seems to have saved, why would it revert?

Edit: regardless of trying to separate the files, I can not see any videos from my Xbox360. I can see Pics and play music, no video?! I've tried three different extensions, .mpg - .mpeg and .avi

Edit: now, I can see my mini-dlna from my win7/8 computers, and I can play/see pics, video and music. Is this just something with the Xbox360, I can not watch videos/movies?

sysfu

Explorer
I did the same thing and added more media directories in the .conf file. But it must be done inside the jail and you need to have set up the mount points for each directory.
Your post is what finally helped me figure out how to get MiniDLNA working, big thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.