How to: Install MiniDLNA into iocage (FreeNAS 11.2)

BigBadBear

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response.
I've got separate mount points for TV and Movies and have them listed as
media_dir=V,/media/Movies
media_dir=V,/media/TV
I haven't added a Music one yet as I wanted to fix the MP4 problem first.

I only seem to have the problem with MP4 files when it sees a new one being added (I use WinSCP but have tried FileZilla as well to copy the file to the FreeNAS box) so it looks like whatever process monitors for file changes handles MP4 files differently to a full rescan.

If I go to the Jail, open the Shell and do
root@MiniDLNA:~ # minidlnad -R
root@MiniDLNA:~ # service minidlna restart

or just restart the Jail, it does a full rescan and finds the same files but says they are all videos so the file formatting seems to be ok

For now I'll just run a full rescan if I upload any MP4s, thanksfully I don't have many of them.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is a possible solution, not one that you will like. Rename your .mp4 files to .avi and see if that works. I'm just curious myself for the next file you add if that will solve it. but restarting the jail or service isn't too bad of a thing to do, I know it would be great if it were just automatic and correct.

So is it possible for you to use Plex, just for the DLNA server portion that is built in? I'm not sure if you have enough resources to use it but it's worth a try, add Plex into a different jail and if it fails to work, delete it. The Plex DLNA does work much better.

Octopuss

Patron
The plugin used to work good enough for me, but today I noticed half of the folders, as seen from the stupid TV interface, say "null".
I tried updating and restarting the plugin, and it didn't help at all.
Does anyone have any idea?

hervon

Patron
Delete the database and restart jail.

Location of the database : root/var/db/minidlna

Octopuss

Patron
I can't find anything like that. There is no var folder under root when I putty into the FreeNAS.

Fredda

Guru
I guess in this case "root" means "path to the filesystem of you jail".

hervon

Patron
I use WinSCP to browse the files & folders. Much easier than putty. Search Ze webs.

Location of the database : (miniDLNA jail)/root/var/db/minidlna

Fredda

Guru
I use WinSCP to browse the files & folders.

I'm using MobaXterm. I'd like to make a little bit promotion for this tool here. It's a kind of swiss army knife
of windows terminals. If you ssh into another machine it automatically opens a SFTP-Browser. It includes
a lot of tools, like a network scanner, port scanner, X-Server, packet capture ...

Octopuss

Patron
Thanks.
I ordered Vero 4k+ anyway, because this thing just plain sucks (and not the least because of the useless laggy piece of shit Philips TV interface).

joeschmuck

Old Man
I can't find anything like that. There is no var folder under root when I putty into the FreeNAS.
To find it go look at the original instructions to install MiniDLNA and look for SSH to log into the iocage of the jail. You should find it then.

Mondfarmer

Cadet
Hello,
Thank you for the guide, worked perfectly for me, until I rebooted my nas for the first time. the service starts automatically as it should but it can't access my media data anymore.
To me it looks like it should have permission to access it but somehow it doesn't work.

minidlna_error.PNG

Any idea what the Problem is or how to fix it?
Thank you

mrgnz

Cadet
Alright,
I got FreeNAS 11.3 running on some hardware I don't need anymore. Its my first NAS and my first FreeNAS so be aware of my noob factor.

I've basically followed this instructions to set up my minidlna server in a jail. It is running (as user root), I can stream music, BUT:

After I start the minidlna server (normally I want it to start with the jail as my NAS isn't running 24/7 which also workes) it seemingly starts to scan. Well, I guess thats what it does after starting. It Also seems to get all files as the number unter hostname:8200 is the same every time.
Some Minutes in, the RAM gets filled up (24gb) and then the swap and than it tanks the whole FreeNAS system. The logfile from minidlna only reports minor stuff like "this header of this mp3 is garbage" etc. I have no idea whats happening.

The files I have set up are
/etc/rc.conf -> make minidlna run as root
/usr/local/etc/minildna.conf
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/minildna
/var/db/minidlna
/var/log/minidlna

Its not about permissions to the Media files. Access runs as expected when minidlna runs as root and it isnt working when it runs as user "933" (why so ever 933)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fredda

Guru
Its not about permissions to the Media files. Access runs as expected when minidlna runs as root and it isnt working when it runs as user "933" (why so ever 933)
This sounds exactly like a permission issue.

Where is the media stored. In the jail? Did you mount the media folder from FreeNAS into the jail?
What the permissions for the folder and media? (normal permissions and ACL)

mrgnz

Cadet
Well, the scan finishes successfully and I can stream media and there are no permission errors. So I guess it's exactly not a permission error.

Basically, it finishes the initial scan and then it floods the ram

joeschmuck

Old Man
MiniDLNA is detected but no playable media....i tried on PS4
That is good that MiniDLNA can be seen, as for the lack of media, double check your setup, I suspect your media shares are not setup properly, assuming the media type is correct.

saudansari968

Dabbler
That is good that MiniDLNA can be seen, as for the lack of media, double check your setup, I suspect your media shares are not setup properly, assuming the media type is correct.
I am don't remember what i did but MiniDLNA is detecting everything

joeschmuck

Old Man

saudansari968

Dabbler
Glad you fixed it, even if you don't recall how.
i remember now, i had forgot small change from the given step....though i need a new help i added a new folder that is not getting detected. I deleted and recreated the Jail but then only that new folder is visible and not other. then I added the old mount point

saudansari968

Dabbler
AHHHHHH....i changed to static IP and it stopped working....gone back DHCP followed everything but still not working....on the latest version of freenas help please