Data lost/ corrupt on Raid 1 ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 big NooB

Cadet
Hello

I'm in a dark place at the moment. On the surface it looks like all my data on a 0.5Tb ZFS Raid 1 has either disappeared or corrupted. So before I do anything silly in haste I thought I'd better run it past the forum.

I recently decided to improve my home network back up strategy (which I must add have had no trouble with) to incorporate a NAS in to my network. After looking at NAS caddies (boring) I came across FreeNAS which seemed like a challenge and allowed me to recycle some of my old hardware and pick up a bit of Linux to boot.

So that’s the motive here is the crime.

Software:
FreeNAS-8.20.-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r11950)
MiniDLNA 1.022_3-i386 updated to minidlna-1.0.24_1-i386 (from beta 3 release)

Hardware:
AMD XP 3200+
1Gb Crucial ddr memory (I know, not enough for ZFS, I can here the sharp in takes of breath. ZFS seemed the easiest to get plug-in to work)
Intel 1Gb Pro NIC
2 off 0.5Tb WD hard drives one black the other green both SATA 2
Startech SATA to IDE converter.
4Gb USB stick (containing FreeNAS)

Got this lot running with a few hiccups with getting the FreeNAS on to the USB stick. I then set about creating 3 data sets to hold my data, then a Windows share and finally which was I had not fully mastered but got working miniDLNA.

I filled the data sets up other the network whilst keeping a backup. Ran for a couple of weeks with minor tweaks to miniDLNA which I struggled with. I then set about adding 2 1.0Tb drives to create a 2nd ZFS raid 1 which also meant my cosy back up had to be deleted. This is were the plot thickens, my first problem was the SATA3 WD Black drive was not being found on boot up and freezing the machine. These 1.0Tb drives were being plugged into the motherboards only 2 SATA”1” ports. I then placed a jumper on the drive to throttle it back to SATA 2 from 3 but to no avail. It was at this point I entered the slippery slope. Without praparing anything within FreeNAS I moved the 0.5Tb Raid 1 from the SATA to IDE adaptor to the MB SATA ports and fitted the 2 1Tb drives to the SATA/IDE adaptor. BINGO! It all worked (or did it?). The system ran for a couple of days without any apparent problem.

I still had some minor business in sorting MiniDLNA out so I uninstalled version 1.022_3-i386 and installed ver 1.0.24_1-i386. This was done late one night with no testing until the following day and it was then when I realized the 0.5Tb drive was showing empty in Windows and FreeNAS.

What have I done??? Everything is saying it’s moving the disks across the controllers but everything seemed fine until I updated MiniDLNA which does not make sense and the strange thing is I can still see some of the files over DLNA but cant open them. I assume this is a cache from when things were fine.

Sorry for dragging on, I will keep it short & sweet on future posts.

1 big NooB

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Do you remember what exactly were the Plugin Mount Points you had configured? Source and Destination? Was the source a dataset, or a folder?

Every detail you can remember would be helpful.

1 big NooB

Cadet
Firstly thank you for picking this up.

Screen dump of volume details attached. sD.jpg

Volume = Raid_B

Data sets within this volume:-

Raid_B/Jail

Raid_B/Share
I created two folders in this data set from within Windows called Recordings (video in here) and Music (music in here, sorry to state the obvious)

Raid_B/Software
for the plugins

Plugin mount point was
Source= /mnt/Raid_B/Share
Destination= /mnt/Raid_B/Jail/Jail/usr/pbi/minidlna-i386/media

I created the media directory within the Jail using a guide off the forum.

Cheers

babaroga

Explorer
I do not want to throw a spanner into the works here, however, I had very very bad experience with those "SATA-->PATA" (and vice versa) adapters. No matter how cheap solution with those might be, a dedicated SATA card will always be my preferred choice. Grab one cheap from eBay.

Try unplugging the lot, put back only half terra drives and try to get them back by importing FS. Also, I would give it a try first with a new installation of FreeNAS on a new usb stick and then importing FS into it.

I cannot have any other suggestions really....sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.