XenForo 1.x Forum themes: "New Style" - changelog and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hello!

I have decided that it may be best to allow JoshDW19 his own changelogesque comments about the New Style theme and your requests for improvements to it, seperate from those of my own theme (aka Experimental). Therefore, the other thread has been closed and two new threads exist to replace it. This will be sticky until it gets going, and then it might be unstuck. Comments and discussion relate to the New Style themes as shown in the images below.

NewStyle-crop.png NewStyle_red-crop.png

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Hello, would it be possible to get the old "width" back for the comments section or at least discuss it? Originally I posted in the older thread (see comment #138).

Also, the "Members Online Now" shows 0 (zero) inside a posting, but not when just looking at the main "FreeNAS Community" page (comment #135 in the old thread).

Thanks

gpsguy

I second Mirfster's request.

Since "Share This Page" appears at the bottom of the page, does it need to be in the sidebar too? For forum search, I just use another FreeNAS tab.

I'd say get rid of the sidebar stuff, to make the comments section wider.

sidebar.PNG

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I second Mirfster's request.

Since "Share This Page" appears at the bottom of the page, does it need to be in the sidebar too? For forum search, I just use another FreeNAS tab.

I'd say get rid of the sidebar stuff, to make the comments section wider.

View attachment 12464
Can we get rid of it wholesale? I don't think anybody uses these things, they're just needlessly tracking people.

Sakuru

Guru
Can we get rid of it wholesale? I don't think anybody uses these things, they're just needlessly tracking people.
Tracking, what tracking?
upload_2016-6-30_10-40-52.png

[MANICAL-LAUGH]MUAHAHAHAAHAHA![/MANIACAL-LAUGH]

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Looking to compare the two themes to see what mine did versus the New Style and I discovered some oddness: A not signed-in (aka guest) account sees only a tweet link for either location. I would tend to believe that this is an error, and intended that guests cannot share the page but somehow whatever the toggle is, the tweet link is outside of it. The share links (at least the tweet ones) are the same in both locations so it does seem to be needless duplication. As for why the Experimental theme does not have the same issues, I am unsure but I suspect that the comment/post space simply covers over the sidebar (I do not recall any other adjustment that might cause those boxes to vanish during post view).

As for removing the share box from the sidebar and possibly shifting things upward to allow for a wider post/comment space, I believe it can be done but the ease of doing it would depend upon how the New Style theme variants are related to each other.

I do not have time at the moment to work on anything, so possibly late today (~11pm Jun 30th 2016) at the earliest.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just realized the the default style still has that stupid "Messages: Message Count: 1372 1372" quirk that is gone from the new style:

Default style:

upload_2016-7-4_22-14-45.png

New Style:

upload_2016-7-4_22-15-8.png

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Fixed the duplicate message count indicator for default theme.

I also made minor color adjustments to the default theme. the weird darker border along left and right sides of the main page (this has bugged me forever) have been turned white to match the top/header. The content background was made darker to be more noticeably different from the white, and the color used for links (and likely other things) was made darker to better contrast with it.

I do not intend to make changes to the default theme except tremendously rarely if ever, and only truly where exeedingly necessary.

---

It appears that the sidebar causing the message/comment space to be narrower is unique to the New Style theme, so I won't need to wonder any more why the Experimental theme has no such issue.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@JoshDW19 - Apparently there's something that won't actually load in the New Style. Forum's working fine (better than it has in a few days), but firefox keeps saying it's still loading the pages. This started in the lats few days, possibly yesterday.

Whatever it is, I haven't run into anything that won't work.

gpsguy

I'm using the New Style and haven't seen any Firefox issues. Oh, wait, I'm using Waterfox 47.0.1. :smile:

When I built this machine, there wasn't a 64 bit version of Firefox and I started using Waterfox. I realize there's one now.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hmm.. I don't know what may have changed. There was a few days that I was not online the way I had been due to troubles with my primary box. Thats all fixed now but I have a few more days to work and then another stretch of time off again that maybe I can spend on forum work. But.. in a nutshell, in the last week or so I have done nothing on the FreeNAS forums, so if anything changed it was by another's hand (or some automation perhaps).

And yes I did look into the sidebar thingy prior to my difficulties but have not managed any changes yet. I will have to rediscover the applicable templates and make some modifications -possibly during my next few days off.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@JoshDW19 - Apparently there's something that won't actually load in the New Style. Forum's working fine (better than it has in a few days), but firefox keeps saying it's still loading the pages. This started in the lats few days, possibly yesterday.

Whatever it is, I haven't run into anything that won't work.
As far as I can tell, the twitter crap is taking a while to load. This somehow causes Kaspersky to never actually allow it through, or something of the sort.

Disabling Kaspersky leads to pages not loading forever, but Twitter still takes a good few seconds to load.

Last edited:

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
@Ericloewe Sorry things are slow to load for you. The twitter stuff is pretty basic as far as I can tell. Just a link with a referral. I've always found browser anti-virus scanners can slow things down considerably on webpages. I'll look and see if I can find any other forums that have ran into the same issue.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@Ericloewe Sorry things are slow to load for you. The twitter stuff is pretty basic as far as I can tell. Just a link with a referral. I've always found browser anti-virus scanners can slow things down considerably on webpages. I'll look and see if I can find any other forums that have ran into the same issue.
It doesn't impact the experience, it's just the annoying little "loading" spinning wheel. Fortunately, everything else loads fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The login screen seems a bit dubious:

upload_2016-7-27_10-55-48.png

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Re-arranged the forum order a bit today. Feel free to check it out and give feedback here.

Status
Not open for further replies.