X11SSH-F Problem of fan running at 100%

collector

Dabbler
Hi, I just mounted two "NOCTUA NF-A12x15 PWM" fans on the SuperMicro X11SSH-F motherboard and they stop and speed up every 5 seconds once on the boot engine and even after the operating system starts!

I already have two "Silverstone PWM" fans and one "Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM" fan mounted on a "NH-L9i" ventirad, all three of these fans work great. But as soon as I connect the two "NF-A12x15 PWM" fans, all the fans stop after the boot motor starts and accelerate to their maximum speed in a loop every 5 seconds.

I already tried to change the fan ports, I tried to connect the "NF-A12x15 PWM" alone, it's still the same. As soon as they are connected, they run in a loop with all the other fans. Then after reboot, they start running as fast as possible without stopping.

Here are the logs of the ipmi (IPMI 1.1) which shows the critical errors concerning the fan: https://paste2.org/0eI6eAII

Do you know how to solve this problem?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Can't you set the fan speed in the BIOS? Take it off automatic speed control and set it for always on or something like that? I thought so but I don't honestly recall. Something you could look into.

Jamberry

Contributor
Seems like your "critical low" is to low configured. I had the same problem twice. One CPU fan even had a 0RPM mode. Supermicro would fall into the "critical" mode, and becaus of that set fans to 100%. That makes the critical warning go away, fans get down again and fall again into critical territory. That cycle repeats forever, every 5 seconds. Changed all three values to 100 to solve the problem (and to 0 for the 0RPM Fan).

Davvo

MVP
I resolved using this. Supermicro boards think you are using industrial fans.

collector

Dabbler
Seems like your "critical low" is to low configured. I had the same problem twice. One CPU fan even had a 0RPM mode. Supermicro would fall into the "critical" mode, and becaus of that set fans to 100%. That makes the critical warning go away, fans get down again and fall again into critical territory. That cycle repeats forever, every 5 seconds. Changed all three values to 100 to solve the problem (and to 0 for the 0RPM Fan).

Thank you for your help, your answer helped me solve the problem. The fans are working fine now :)