Will It True NAS New Build with little knowledge

JB3

Cadet
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my current File / Media / gaming situation for my house. I currently have 3 desktop gaming computers and 1 headless FreeNas Box running that was all built 13 -14 years ago. I have made small upgrades to them (mostly Video cards and Ram) but even that is limited due to the old hardware. Nothing wrong with them per say except they can no longer keep up with the new features of life :).

I have moved into a new home with many new features and would like to streamline my set up.
I would like to Build NAS that would house both Files / cloud / and Plex.
  1. I have wired the house so nothing will be WIFI.
  2. I have 4-6 users at any given time
  3. all devices in home are 4K UHD capable
  4. main theater room is capable of any type of video playback and sound track
  5. I have a large array of media and the trans coding could be little to a lot at any given time.
I can not figure out if I need to take PLEX out of the NAS or integrate it with the NAS. I have put together a couple of builds but still can not make my self pull the trigger and now I am thinking just to get something prebuilt. I will have a separate gaming style PC so If its better to just not integrate PLEX with the NAS I can go that route but i would rather it be part of the NAS.

I am currently looking at this Box for setting up TrueNas:
refurbished pre build (will this get it done or do I need more)
1669569294452.png

Another question is the pass mark for this CPU, how does that work if you run two of them? Does it double or does it not work that way.

All help is appreciated and if I have not explained well let me know and I will try. I was much more knowledgeable 13 or so years ago but my work and gaining a family has taken me in a different direction. I try to keep up just enough to keep the family going and support the devices in my home.

One last bit is I have a golf simulator and this is the reason I need to run a gaming PC. This rely's on the GPU heavily, I was thinking of a way to get all this done with one box but I do not think there is a way around having two boxes giving I need a proper GPU to run the simulator.

JB3

Cadet
I guess i wrote to much, and i will just ask more to the point. I saw i need a passmark of 17000 to run what i think i want to on PLEX. Must be some of you in here that has similar chips to what I am looking at. And i was not sure what i get by having two of them, seems like it would be twice as good :)

What I want to achieve
  • Plex server
    • 4 to 6 Clients 4k some trans coding
    • 4 to 5 VM machines
  • File server
    • 3 users I run a small home office
  • Cloud ( not sure on the name as I have not done this yet )
  • Could be more but I am not there yet.
I have a server room but I have yet to invest in racks, it does run cold in the room and the entire home is wired.

Any guidance would be very appreciated. I have little experience with server grade hardware.

JB3

Cadet
NO reply's here but I continue to research and read other thread reply's. I will continue to update my own thread and converse with myself though.
I will decommission my Current FreeNAS that was built a lifetime ago with spare parts laying around.
Currently running (old miner setup turned Nas)
Gigabyte 970-DS3p
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
16G ram

I will order the Used T430 ( I don't have a Rack yet in my server room)
  • 2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4 2.4GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) 14 Core Processors. (I am pretty sure i read Turbo is useless in TN)
  • 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR4 2400MHz Registered ECC Memory.
  • Dell PERC H730 1GB Mini 12Gb/s SAS/SATA Storage Controller w/Battery (RAID 0/1/5/6/10/50/60 and Pass-Through).
  • 6x Dell Enterprise 3TB 7.2K SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Hard Disk Drives.
  • Integrated Dell Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1GbE LOM.
  • iDRAC 8 Enterprise Remote Management.
  • 2x Dell 750 Watt Platinum Efficiency Power Supplies.
I will add two SSD drives (one for boot)
I will swap the H730 with a HBA330 (LSI 9300-8i). It says it will pass through but it seems to be a pretty strong consensus on this board to use the HBA330.

I should test the drives before I set them up and add data, i am researching the best way to do that. I could look to upgrade the network but i dont think its needed just yet.

MisterE2002

Patron
Did not read fully, but are you sure this H730 is a real HBA? So, a supported chipset with the LSI firmware preferably.

Note: Those server brands usually use non conventional motherboards or picky memory sticks. So a prefab can cause in the future. Supermicro is here the exception (they have proprietary stuff also though)

Last edited:

JB3

Cadet
If I mis interpret something I am sorry, I am deep inside a big learning curve and I think I am overloading on information :)

Did not read fully, but are you sure this H730 is a real HBA? So, a supported chipset with the LSI firmware preferably.
I am not sure about the H730 but it comes with the machine. I do not have experience with server hardware and I have never used any raid controllers or such so this will all be a learning experience for me. I have just read so much on this forum about how the it can cause major headaches down the road even after you get it working for what ever reason. I didn't mind swapping it out to the 330.
I am replacing it with a HBA330 (LSI 9300-8i)

Note: Those server brands usually use non conventional motherboards or picky memory sticks. So a prefab can cause in the future. Supermicro is here the exception (they have proprietary stuff also though)
I am already headed down the rabbit hole. Its either going to be great or very educational. Either way it will be great!! I will in the next 12 months purchase a rack and will probably either sell or repurpose this machine and build a rack mount server.

MisterE2002

Patron
If I mis interpret something I am sorry, I am deep inside a big learning curve and I think I am overloading on information :)
No problem.
I used this pdf guides a lot:

I am not sure about the H730 but it comes with the machine. I do not have experience with server hardware and I have never used any raid controllers or such so this will all be a learning experience for me. I have just read so much on this forum about how the it can cause major headaches down the road even after you get it working for what ever reason. I didn't mind swapping it out to the 330.
I am replacing it with a HBA330 (LSI 9300-8i)
Note: i am not that familiar with HBA's. But community suggest to select based on the chipset.

I am already headed down the rabbit hole. Its either going to be great or very educational. Either way it will be great!! I will in the next 12 months purchase a rack and will probably either sell or repurpose this machine and build a rack mount server.
first time right? Seems a better/cheaper idea.

JB3

Cadet
Well, I have made the move and got a new TN Scale up and running. Now the real fun begins with setting everything up and figuring out how I want to make the Pools. I think this one should serve me for a very long time.
  • I went with 2 striped SSDs for the boot drive \
  • added a m.2 for Cashing as i wanted to try this out
  • added 6 2.5 hot swap bays in the front above the 8 3.5 bays. Added a PCi sata card for that.
  • HBA330 (LSI 9300-8i) looks to have dropped right in and work. Its in IT mode. I will of course have to test this further to confirm no issues
  • Might add 10G nics later as I have a plenty of slots available but i need to research if I can even properly use it. or what benefit it might add
1670424024674.png

Also thank you to this community, even if I do not directly communicate there is so much knowledge for what ever you want to do on here. Lots of guides and information and usually presented in a way that even the layman can understand.

sretalla