First TrueNAS build - Parts Advice/Feedback Appreciated

Vergil

Cadet
Hello everyone,

First time poster, new to using TrueNAS. I’ve did a bit of a research myself, but I wanted to make a forum post instead of playing 20 questions on discord. I have two 4 bay NASes that are slowly filling up and I estimate in maybe 3 to 4 years they’ll be full. My current NASes are a Synology 4 bay and ASUSTOR 4 bay (both 4x4TB). One is used for video storage for Kodi. The other is used for raw storage of documents, music, images, etc.

I want to build a TrueNAS server out of some old hardware I have laying around to serve two purposes:
-A: Consolidate the data of those two NASes and greatly expand my storage in my home. (Existing NASes will just be for backup).
-B: Get familiar with TrueNAS and maybe do a small project or two in my free time with it. (Such as shifting from Kodi to Plex now that I’ll have more powerful hardware than the very low power CPU that my Synology has that can’t do transcoding).

Mind you I’m not looking to get this server up and running right now, just looking to buy piece by piece and have it up and ready to go maybe next summer. (Like one piece of hardware per paycheck). I have currently on hand a PSU/Motherboard/GPU and CPU (w cooler) from one of my old gaming builds.

Currently my build is:
-Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
-CPU: Intel i7-7700k With Noctua NH-U14S
-PSU: eVGA 850GQ (850W Semi Modular) (+5V @ 24A, +3.3V @ 24A, +12V @70.8A)
-Case: Antec P101 Silent
-GPU: eVGA 1070 GTX (If I decide to go with scale for hardware passthrough for Plex transcoding)

Hardware I’m considering:
-8x NAS Drives (Haven’t decided between Seagate or WD. I’m leaning more WD since I’ve never had any issues with them.) (I’ll likely pick 8 or 10TB drives but that depends on the price and such when I go to start buying things this fall.)
-2x SSDs (likely 120GB SSDs, one as a mirror for redundancy)
-RAM: No idea what I want for RAM (I’ll be operating from like 48TB to 60TB running 8TB or 10TB drives in a RAIDZ2 config)
-HBA: I’ll likely need an HBA (Motherboard supports 6 SATA devices but I’ll need 10 total) (I did look and the motherboard SATA controller is all 6 onboard ports are handled under the Z270 Chipset).

Overall major questions:
-That PSU I have should be able to power those 10 SATA drives (it comes with 3 strips of 3 sata connector’s each and one molex with 3 connectors. I figure I’ll likely need to at least take one molex to SATA adaptor.)
-What would be a good cheap HBA to give me like an extra 4 ports. I figure a SAS to SATA breakout would work well. (I don’t mind buying used ebay hardware).
-What RAM compacity/speed should I get.
-I’m also in the market to buy a home use UPS for my gaming desktop and this server and have a pi running NUT to tell both systems to shut down during a power loss. Desktop pulls about 236W with several windows open doing random work at around 480W max running games (not that I’d risk gaming during a Florida thunderstorm). Once I can get some RAM for the server, I’ll throw windows on an SSD and run some benchmarks to see how much power it draws as like a worst-case scenario approach).

I hope I explained my thinking behind this build well enough and would greatly appreciate any feedback or anything I should consider in this build, both in hardware and software.

NugentS

MVP
My comments
Its gamer hardware - not server hardware - that not an unsurmountable issue - but it does come with some tradeoffs

Memory - its not ECC. Whilst ECC is not a requirement - it it recomended. Probably ought to start with 16GB
Network Card is Intel I219V which I think is supported under CORE (recently) and ought to be OK under Scale - others may have comments
Disks - make sure they are CMR, not SMR if buying WD Red
PSU - seems big enough
HBA - LSI Card. For HDD a 9200 is good - second hand off ebay is also good as as you live in the US there seem to be plenty of dismantlers. Alternatively see Art of Server on Ebay. IT firmware is a requirement