Guidance on efficient storage layout (WARNING... LONG)

aerospyke

Dabbler
Hi all,

I’m planning and designing my new truenas core/scale server and my storage capacity is a big point of contention for me, both being able to fit in the budget but also use case.

BACKGROUND/PLANS: The server will be a Xeon 16 core (can’t remember what model, think it’s a 2650 v4 or something along those lines) with 32GB or 64GB RAM ECC in a rack mount case with a bunch of slots. I already have 10Gbe in my server rack and will be extending to this device as well… Doubtful I’ll need the performance but hey, it’s there!! My entire rack is protected by a large UPS that I have connected via scripts to shut things down when the battery gets low (takes about 46 minutes on my last runtime test), which I will be extending to my TrueNAS box.

I am replacing an old QNAP NAS that has 16TB storage that is about 15.5TB used, serving duties as both media content host for a single emby machine (which is about to expand to six emby machines plus mobile phones in the new house), as well as a Veeam backup target for my ESXi hosts. I don’t backup the media content as I don’t feel the need, easily replaceable.

From my reading on this site and others, I agree I don’t want less than RAIDZ2, but to get my capacity requirements will either mean very high capacity drives (looking at WD RED PLUS or Seagate Ironwolf to avoid any possibility of SMR), or more drives, both equalling more money. I want to do this as efficient as possible and so I’ve come for some advice on layout.

Pools:

I’m contemplating separating the two use cases into different pools, one for backups (NFS and S3) from the media server (either SMB or ISCSI). I know there is no need to separate due to the sharing services, but more keeping backups and content sharing separate. Another reason is that I don’t think I’ll need /benefit from an L2ARC for the backup target, but the content sharing most likely would and if I have a L2ARC for content sharing, I won’t have it filling up on backup data and pushing media out at all. As for a SLOG or ZIL, I am unsure I’ll need one for my use case but I could add one in later on (media doesn’t get added too often and it’s not critical for the use case… and if a backup takes longer… oh well I’ll be fine!)… and I don’t think I need to turn on sync write as it is.

VDEVS:

Layout of the VDEVS is where I’m the most confused on the most efficient way of doing this. If I separate the different use cases, I’ll be able to have two smaller pools with the VDEVS containing smaller disks and so cheaper to get going. i.e. 4TB drives instead of 8TB… but having 8 drives to start is a bit expensive if it means I need a boatload more drives just to expand a pool…. So layout of the VDEVS in the pool to make it efficient on the disks, but also efficient on the expansion capabilities made me think of two VDEVS per pool…4 drives each but I get a lot of space inefficiency with RAIDZ2 and 4 drive VDEVS, so 5 would be better… but then wouldn’t I need another 5 drives to expand the pool with another VDEV?

FYI this website was very useful in my calculations: RAID Capacity Comparison - WintelGuy.com

Also FYI, the HBA or other parts of the system are not yet confirmed until I know the layout. I want something that will last me a while, in the sense that as I need more space I can add to the pools and not need to rebuild/migrate to do it, so I’ll have plenty of empty hotswap bays for the first few years

Also FYI, sorry for the essay, I know this is a very common topic of questions so I wanted to get as much of my research out on the page … but yes I’m still a noob ... and yes this was written over the course of several days in a word document I've been compiling, but I'm sure to have missed something here.

aerospyke

Dabbler
No comments on my particular scenario? Here is a diagram of the storage I had in mind.
Storage.jpg

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's really nothing unusual in your questions or wishlist. Sometimes a long message of many frequently asked questions is daunting for members to respond to.

L2ARC is usually not advisable until you have at least 64GB of RAM, because especially with block storage, it is very challenging to keep enough stuff cached in ARC to identify what would truly be useful in the L2ARC.

Related topic: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...quires-more-resources-for-the-same-result.41/

RAIDZ2 is not appropriate for any significant amount of block storage (iSCSI, ESXi). It won't kill you to have a few small VM's or Docker containers or something like that, but be aware of this because it feels like you might be headed in that direction.

Reference: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/the-path-to-success-for-block-storage.81165/

You do not NEED the exact same number of disks or size of disks when adding additional vdevs, but this can introduce inefficiencies and unbalanced performance. It is probably not a good idea to, for example, add a new mirror pair vdev to a RAIDZ3 vdev, because it compromises the redundancy level of the pool AND changes the performance characteristics in weird ways. However, adding a RAIDZ2 vdev of 5x 14TB HDD's to a RAIDZ2 vdev of 5x 8TB HDD's happens all the time, and mostly what's going to happen is just that there will be some heavy favoring of the new vdev for new writes, and you have to be cognizant that the old vdev has substantially older drives and has a higher chance of failure at some point.