SOLVED One boot drive or cheap sata card?

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
Hello I’m building my first NAS so I’m somewhat inexperienced.

Asus P5P43TD PRO (6sata, 1esata, USB 2.0) that's what I have. Don’t have money to spend.
8GB Ram,
4 core CPU
core 2 quad Q9400

I want to use

- 3 mirrored drives: 2 old 2TB WD red + 2TB 870 EVO ssd (this should be for data I absolutely don’t want to lose.)
- Raid z1: 3x new 6tb wd red pro for backups + somewhat important data

so I need 6 Sata ports for Data drives.

I (maybe) will use 2 boot ssd’s (one samsung 840 pro, one old corsair)
problem is I don’t have enough Sata ports and the recommended sas expander cards cost 100+€ which I can’t spend.

So I was thinking to only use one boot ssd OR use a second mirrored boot ssd connected via usb 2.0.
I would use the esata port to have enough ports.

OR buy a cheap sata expander card. (please suggestions: from amazon Germany)

Please suggestions what would be the best (cost efficient) way.
Other useful info is also appreciated (I skimmed over the hardware guide)

Thank you!

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
look around .. I paid $25 for LSI card in sig
In the past I've used USB to SATA cables for boot drive without issue

NugentS

MVP
a single boot drive is fine as its real easy to rebuild if you need to - just make sure you get a regular copy of the config file. Even USB if you have to - but I would suggest mirroring USB boot drives with different models and different sizes to ensure they they both don't fail at the same time. Stick with good names and keep a spare handy.

do NOT even think about using a cheap SATA expander card - just say No

Your system is borderline too old. I am guessing a Core2Duo Quad which is not ideal for the scenario.

Mirroring 2 old 2TB HDD's with a 2TB SSD - I have no idea what that's going to do - I am not saying it won't work but I suspect your results will be variable. The new 6TB drives - make sure they are CMR and not SMR. ZFS and SHR do not mix well.

Lastly I cannot find out what chipset the ethernet port is. Be warned that consumer boards use Realtek chipsets a lot which are crap with TrueNAS or they use obscure Intel chipsets which flat out don't work. You may need a proper NIC as well.

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
In the past I've used USB to SATA cables for boot drive without issue
thanks

a single boot drive is fine as its real easy to rebuild if you need to - just make sure you get a regular copy of the config file. Even USB if you have to - but I would suggest mirroring USB boot drives with different models and different sizes to ensure they they both don't fail at the same time. Stick with good names and keep a spare handy.
ok, I will do samsung evo 240 pro as boot and mirrored ssd on usb than

do NOT even think about using a cheap SATA expander card - just say No
OK!

Your system is borderline too old. I am guessing a Core2Duo Quad which is not ideal for the scenario.
you guessed right: I looked now: core 2 quad Q9400
but I'm not concerned with low transfer speeds. I just want safe data.

I can't find my ehternet card as well now. but I have installed truenas and I can reach it in my home network.

ThreeDee

Guru
I just want safe data.
then get some server grade hardware and run ECC memory and have plenty of redundancy as well as a good battery back up :cool:

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
As boot I have now a mirrored pool of 2 SSD's

Samsung 128gb on SATA
corsair 120gb on USB

but the USB drive behaves strange:
truenas doesn't see that its an SSD drive for example: and the model no is ASMT 2105
potentially how much of a problem could this be?

Screenshot from 2021-09-23 01-37-27.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
Sounds like the model number of the controller. Seems to be a USB/SATA bridge chip.
Ok,

And is that potentially problematic that truenas doesn't recognise it as an SSD?

t's over a usb 2.0 (no 3.0 available)

Should I get another ssd to usb connector part?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What kind of special recognition do you expect it to need? The real question is whether SMART data can be queried without hassle.

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
What kind of special recognition do you expect it to need? The real question is whether SMART data can be queried without hassle.

I was thinking that maybe if truenas thinks that the SSD is a HDD it might talk different to it and might destroy it in the process? That's why I was asking.

So I will check of the smart data can be read out fine. If yes I leaf it,
If no I get another sata to usb

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
was thinking that maybe if truenas thinks that the SSD is a HDD it might talk different to it and might destroy it in the process?
No, that's not really a concern in any sane environment.

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
thanks everyone for the help!