Seeking Advice on New TrueNAS Build - First Timer

Dodgy_Bob

Cadet
I currently have built a home server using my old X-299 gaming PC with the following specs, and am looking at changing to TrueNAS.

Motherboard - EVGA FTW-K X-299 (E-ATX)
CPU - Intel i9 7900X @ 4.2Ghz
RAM - 64Gb G.Skill @ 3200Mhz
GPU - EVGA RTX2080Ti
Storage - 2x M.2 SSD (1x 512Gb & 1x 1Tb)
8x SATA 16Tb Seagate EXOS X16 (found these cheap, so I grabbed them!)
OS - Windows Server 2019
Chassis - 4RU Rosewill RSV-L4412U rackmount case with 12 hot swap 3.5" & 2.5" SATA/SAS bays
LAN - 2x 10Gb PCIe NIC
PSU - Seasonic PRIME PX-850 Platinum 850W

So after reading a few forums from here to TrueNAS and watching some relevant YouTube channels (finding reputable creators can be a challenge at times) I’ve decided that I wish to give TrueNAS a good hard crack for my home server needs.
I’ll be primarily using it for PLEX and as a file server for any photo and video editing (in small doses). My initial thoughts are to use the SSD’s I have for the ‘Jails’ and OS for TrueNAS and the spinning drives for the 30 or so Tb’s of video I have for my PLEX needs.

I currently have never used an OS like TrueNAS, and have only had experience with NAS’s via my two Netgear ReadyNAS’s (ReadyNAS 626X (6 bay in RAID 5) & ReadyNAS 312 (2 bay in RAID0, cuz I wasn’t worried about redundancy)).

My thoughts on the spinning platters are to set them up in essentially a RAID10 setup (two mirrors striped using the RAIDz model). I found a speed calculator that gave this setup with 8 disks a solid 1333Mb/s performance with 64Tb capacity. (happy to be corrected if I stuffed this up). Use of the SSD’s for the TrueNAS OS, any Jails that I need (PLEX, and perhaps a torrent client).

I also have 4x 2.5" 2Tb SSDs that I could re-purpose as an extra storage pool, along with an M.2 Expander card for 4x M.2 SSD’s as well in the spare PCIe slot i have. These would be connected via my PCIe RAID card, HighPoint RocketRAID 840A, currently in use with Server 2019. My household is locally on a 10Gbe ethernet network, with a 1 Gigabit connection from my ISP.

Any creative/constructive criticisms are welcome. Whilst I do know a bit, I don’t profess to know everything and am seeking a ‘sanity check’ on my intentions. Keen to get my geek on with this as I am completely new to this but enjoy learning and implementing new computing hardware and services.

Thanks for your time

mihies

Dabbler
Why not use RAID-Z2 instead - you'd have more disk space and it'd be more resilient (any two disks can fail)? Edit: for HDDs