New member, little knowledge, 1st time build NAS, compatibility, need help/advise

mariosk9gr

Dabbler
Hi again everyone,
All this time I was searching to build my NAS and came to a point where I ordered the hardware parts but at the end I canceled my order because I was able to find a very good deal. I bought Qnap TS-873a for a great price which comes with 8 bays, 2 nvme slots (only x1 speed though), 8Gb of Ram which I will upgrade to 64Gb ECC Ram, 2x Pci-Ex slots, dual 2.5G ethernet and 3x usb 3.2 gen2. The best is that it supports dual OS which is QTS and QuTS Hero with ZFS. The latter was the best selling point for me. Regarding the HDDs I'm thinking to invest to Seagate Exos X20 with 18Tb of space. I did a research and found that an 8Tb hdd will cost me around 220€ where an 18Tb will cost 320€. So, for 100€ I get 10Tb more. It's not cheap but I think regading the cost per Gb is a better choice. I don't have the Nas in my hands yet but I think until the end of week I will. It was a great deal at great price. What do you think, I would like your opinion on my purchase. If some of you know QuTS Hero please suggest how you would set it to take full adavantage of it regarding reliability and speed.

P.S. I have ordered also a Qnap dual 10Gbe nic.

Last edited: