Who is "Group"

dpearcefl

Contributor
I am in the process of writing some documentation for TrueNAS and SMB shares. When I create a new SMB dataset and then edit it's permissions, one entry puzzles me. If I select an ACL preset of "Open", the latter entry disappears. Is the latter entry redundant? In this context, is "builtin_users" equivalent to "everyone@"?
1673366063077.png

Isn't the "builtin_users" group automatically assigned for newly created accounts that you enable as an "SMB user"?

EDIT: Just confirmed. I created a new user account, checked the box "Samba Authentication", and it automatically added the user to the group "builtin_users". The inverse is also true. If I create a new user account and uncheck the box "Samba Authentication", then the new user will not be added to the "builtin_users" group.

This wasn't always the case with TrueNAS Core, so it must have been implemented recently in the 13.x series.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP

dpearcefl

Contributor
Ah, so similar to Windows "Everyone" and "Authenticated Users".

Davvo

MVP
I don't know about Windows, but the everyone here should be "everyone but the ones specified".

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
GROUP@ is the NFSv4 equivalent of CREATOR-GROUP (S-1-3-1) in Windows (or simply "group" in conventional POSIX mode).

Other special identifiers are defined in RFC3530 (NFSv4.0) and RFC5661 (NFSv4.1) C.F.

Though the only ones implemented internally in ZFS are owner, group, and everyone.