SOLVED Where do you run Plex, and why?

jon_2112

Explorer
The repository is not behind by a couple releases. Please don't spread lies. It's only behind by 3 days usually. The time it takes to roll a new package and build the ports

Yeah, this is definitely not the case.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The statement was "a release or two", and it's often true--Plex releases very rapidly, and the packages are often (maybe "usually") a little behind--at this moment, the "latest" package repo doesn't have a release (1.19.3.2764) that came out 11 days ago. I'm not sure why Jon's accurate statement resulted in such a strong reaction from you, though.

The real issue is the pathological desire of Plex users to be on the latest possible release, all the time.
Because release 1.19.3.2764 for Plex pass is in the repo and can be installed. Released may 7 and added may 12.
1.19.3.2793 was released 3 days ago and like I said will probably be updated very soon.

i just don't see why everyone thinks Plex is never updated. I have been running it for years and not a single time have I been behind. I have to even actively remember to update because it gets updated so frequently.

jon_2112

Explorer
The current version in the repository is 1.19.1.2701, which was released April 23. It was entered into the repository May 3. There have been two releases since then, on April 29 and May 7. So the current repository version is two releases behind: 2.5 weeks from 1.19.2 and 9 days from 1.19.3. In my experience that's pretty common.

It's not a big deal. I never said it was a big deal. However, sometimes there's a big fix or feature I'd like and I was curious if I could easily update it myself without waiting a week or four. It has been my experience that the repository is typically a release or two behind, as it is right now. It's certainly not the case that it's typically "3 days" behind, and I don't appreciate being called a liar.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Because release 1.19.3.2764 for Plex pass is in the repo and can be installed.
Strange--when I did pkg install plexmediaserver just minutes before posting, with the "latest" repo, it installed 1.19.1.something. And according to the plex.tv download page, .2764 (which is the latest version they show for FreeBSD) was released on May 5--so even if it were out to all the mirrors of the repo (as it plainly isn't), that's still a delay of a week, more than double the three days you stated.
i just don't see why everyone thinks Plex is never updated.
Who's been saying that? More importantly, who in this thread is saying that? Jon said that the FreeBSD package is generally a release or two behind. That's consistent with my own experience. That's hardly "never updated"--in fact, given Plex's release cycle, that's pretty up-to-date. But it also isn't "perfectly up-to-date" (which I wouldn't expect to be the case at all), and it's often more than three days (your number) delayed.

This doesn't bother me--I run pkg upgrade weekly, and use whatever version is there. I don't feel any need for the PMS_Updater script. I'm sometimes amused, and sometimes baffled, by the people who are all in a tizzy because Plex dropped a new version two days ago, and WHERE IS IT? But I'm not blind to the fact that there's a little bit of a delay in getting the packages out.
not a single time have I been behind.
Now you're "spreading lies"--and you actually are, in that this is false, and you know it's false. By your own statement, 1.19.3.2793 was released three days ago (even if it isn't on the download page on plex.tv). Also by your own statement. there isn't a package for it. Therefore, if you're using the FreeBSD packages (and if you aren't, your experience is irrelevant to the subject under discussion), you aren't running the most current version, and haven't been for three days. Therefore, you are behind.

You are defending the indefensible, in order to argue against a position literally nobody is taking. Why?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Let's not devolve into accusations here. It seems most folks just run either the official plugin or roll their own using the FreeBSD port inside a jail. My installation is the most idiosyncratic, but it works for me. Thanks for participating. I consider this thread closed.

The statement was "a release or two", and it's often true--Plex releases very rapidly, and the packages are often (maybe "usually") a little behind--at this moment, the "latest" package repo doesn't have a release (1.19.3.2764) that came out 11 days ago. I'm not sure why Jon's accurate statement resulted in such a strong reaction from you, though.
So this is assumed to be normal? And myself even dug into it and opened a new thread on it today... lol.

The real issue is the pathological desire of Plex users to be on the latest possible release, all the time.
FOMO plus an obnoxious orange banner reminding you you are behind on your updates.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Spiceman

Dabbler
FOMO plus an obnoxious orange banner reminding you you are behind on your updates.

Very obnoxious. I just click ‘Skip This Version’ and banner gone.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
I hate FreeNAS Plug-ins with a passion. Nothing but a headache. They are barely configured at all out of the box, locked down so doing anything custom with them is a headache, and the updates are super slow. Most if not all the time no testing goes into the updates either so things can just be broken. Also, I have been converted into the wonderful world of the config folder being a separate dataset so no more worrying about my jail breaking for whatever reason and loosing my 200 GB of Plex metadata or having to juggle it from install to install. Also, this allows it to have automatic snapshots. This also makes it so as long as you have recorded the commands to install the jail and point it to the config folder re-installing a jail like Plex takes minutes and is back up and running exactly as it was left the last time it was working. If not just roll back the snapshot of the config dataset to when it was. Installing the jail from command line is even faster than installing from plug-ins and using the GUI. Once you do it once it is just a matter or recording and saving those commands. Running iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Jail_Storage/configs/plex /config nullfs rw 0 0 is light years faster than doing it through the GUI. You can even run commands back to back just separating them with &&. I run everything in custom jails now. In the past I used an Ubuntu VM for everything due to FreeBSD as you say being a second class citizen but this seems to have changed. Now I enjoy no overhead with a jail. Also, 1080p transcoding is super cheap software wise so you are not missing anything without hardware transcoding. Unless you made the mistake of buying one of those Synology deals to run a full-blown server. Don't know how many times I have seen people buy a pre-built "NAS" then complain it does not have the CPU to do server tasks. I bought a E5-2680V2 a couple of years ago off eBay for around $100 and that does around 10 1080p transcodes at a time. There is no HDR to SDR transcoding, so I don't care about 4k transcoding until that happens. I am sure by the time that happens I can upgrade to a used Ryzen Threadripper for pretty cheap which can already do several 4k transcodes at a time.

Updating Plex to the latest on a standard iocage jail is super easy... Only way it could possibly be easier is if Plex gave us an update button on the Web UI to run a custom command... Actually I think I might request that feature now.

iocage exec plex fetch https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/blob/master/PMS_Updater.sh

iocage exec plex chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh

Then just run this whenever there is an update notification.

iocage exec plex ./PMS_Updater.sh -vra

TAC

Contributor
. What about sorting your movies by IMDB rating? How about sorting *just unwatched* movies by IMDB rating, then filtering for only comedies?

I've got the first two sorts figured out, but how to you then filter for comedies?

kherr

Explorer
iocage jail and PMS_Updater ----- Deadly-Simple combo. I have more issues with the clients (Nvidea Shield) than anything. 1 of 4 Shields seems to only like SD and few 1080 movies for some oddball reason. It started right after a CPU/HBA upgrade. And it's the newest one to boot (about a year old .. if that) .... oh welllll (need to update system below ...)