Why to use RancherOS when Alpine can do the same at less cost?

netamego

Dabbler
Hi,

I have an old N40L with 8 GB RAM so my server it's very basic for FreeNAS but it do the work I need. I wanted to run pi-hole so I went through VMs menu and select Docker (witch actually is a RancherOS). The problem I see with this configuration is that requieres a minimun of 2 GB that you "steal" to ZFS moreover when pi-hole have very low requirements. Then I have installed Alpine (Virtual Edition 34 MB) in bhyve virtual machine with 256 MB RAM and works like a charm. With docker daemon, pi-hole and portainer the ram utilization it's about 150 MB. I think Alpine could be better than RancherOS as Docker HOST. What do you think?

Thanks.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
It's all being removed regardless, you'll need to run a manual VM in the future anyhow.
How reliable are you finding Docker on an N40L? you're brave, I refused to run VMs on my N54L - it started to get flakey when I threw a LOT at it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Docker isn't ideal for a single app/container as you have clearly identified.

It makes sense to have docker when you run multiple apps/containers.

I understand the RancherOS is working on the bug that mandates 2GB to start the OS, so it would go down to 1GB eventually (as it was in the past). This doesn't change the above.

fracai

Guru
It's all being removed regardless, you'll need to run a manual VM in the future anyhow.
Whoa, is this documented or discussed somewhere? I mean, I'm not actually using Docker, but I try to stay on top of FreeNAS developments and I haven't heard this one. Thanks for any pointers.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The docker host option isn't really substaintially different to a VM other than the Grub boot and option to set the password for RancherOS.

I can do all that myself as long as I get the grub boot option I presume is required by RancherOS to boot in Bhyve.

For the better, it would seem to eliminate the pain-point of being unable to update RancherOS versions.

It is nice to be able to spin a new docker VM in 2 minutes with little configuration work needed.

SavageAUS

Patron
So by the sounds of it all the trials and testing I have done recently to get rancher working (which it still isn’t) has been for naught? As they are going to remove it? And I for one won’t stay on an old version just for one feature. So it’s best now to spin up a Ubuntu? VM or something else? And install docker and go from there?

sretalla