What's the use of External HBA

Fastline

Patron
Hello,

I've used a few LSI based HBA cards and they have worked fine. However, they were all having internal ports. I also saw that a few LSI models have an external SAS Port. I've no idea what's the use of an external SAS Port and how to use that. Can anyone please explain?

Thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There are disk shelves with SAS connectors.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Fastline

Patron
Not quite. This goes into a 5.25" mounting bay and is connected inside the PC.

More like this:
Okay, so its like you have a server and that has a few SAS/SATA Drive which is connected via onboard SAS/SATA and you also use the Internal SAS/SATA ports from HBA Card and if you need more storage, put drives in another box and connect those via external HBA Card. Is that correct?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes. Or you have a server with just a boot drive and half a dozen of these external shelves connected.

Enterprise storage frequently looks like this:
HPE20160923066-scaled.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, what else? SAS cable from HBA to shelf. Lots of HBAs if necessary ...

Like one of these:

54a814d1-17f3-48aa-99b8-a48aca900905_1.d79d292f571b53f4bf2a332f9ec45b72.jpeg cables-to-go-3m-28-26awg-passive-external-mini-sas-cable-9-8ft-06178-38.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Both need hba's with external connectors.
Yes, but in case of the shelves these are practically always a fixed part of the product.

Fastline

Patron
Umm, my question is suppose i have disk shelves and a main server now i make connection from the server to the shelves using the external HBA?

Secondly, i also came to know about SFP based HBA Cards. How does that work?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Umm, my question is suppose i have disk shelves and a main server now i make connection from the server to the shelves using the external HBA?
Yes.

Arwen

MVP
For SOHO use, something smaller than a full rack width of disks can be used;
These don't have SAS Expanders, so need one SAS / SATA lane per drive.

I have no connection to that company or product, nor have any knowledge of how well it works.

As for SFP on a HBA, that sounds like Fibre Channel. Not something generally usable with TrueNAS.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Arwen

MVP
Fibre Channel is a complex subject, and generally SOHO users don't need to use or know about it.

Fibre Channel is a full blown, extreme speed, (up to 64Gbit/ps, per channel), multi-path, multi-initiator storage networking protocol.

Trying to describe it in a paragraph means actual research to get the words right for those of us that know about FC, but not work on it regularly. So, that sentence is what I can say... but still had to look up the current top speed, (which is debatable).