HBA Selection

probain

Patron
So apparently the x16 slots are by the PCI-spec supposed to be able to supply up to 75W through the slot. Other slots seem to be 25W max. But board vendors might deviate from the spec. So if you go with 9300-16i, then using that aux 6pin power connector will not hurt. If you choose to try without, be sure to read and research that you board can supply the required power as needed.

Fastline

Patron
So apparently the x16 slots are by the PCI-spec supposed to be able to supply up to 75W through the slot. Other slots seem to be 25W max. But board vendors might deviate from the spec. So if you go with 9300-16i, then using that aux 6pin power connector will not hurt. If you choose to try without, be sure to read and research that you board can supply the required power as needed.
Yes, Thank you. Going with LSI 9400-16i.

Fastline

Patron
BTW, i saw that the datasheet at Broadcom says 1024 SATA and 24 NVMe. Is connecting 1024 SATA Devices actually possible? I wonder....

Etorix

Wizard
Yes, with enough SAS expanders. Don't expect to do it with one thousand little cables going to one board…

Fastline

Patron
Yes, with enough SAS expanders. Don't expect to do it with one thousand little cables going to one board…
And will it be able to handle the load? I still doubt how is it even possible to have like 1024 SATA Disks on a 4 port SFF.

Etorix

Wizard
Well, at some point there will be bottlenecks if all drives are addressed at the same time… But the controller should be able to handle it.