HBA Selection

Fastline

Patron
Hello,

I'm looking to install an HBA as I'm running out of SATA Ports on my Motherboard.

I have selected these models. Can anyone tell me which one would be best in terms of cooling, performance, and better technology? Pricing isn't an issue here. I can invest like 500-1K for two cards I guess.

LSI 430-16i
LSI 9300-16i
LSI 9305-16i
LSI 9400-16i

Also, why only 9300-16i require an external power? Is 9300-16i just more power-hungry and maybe more powerful?

On a side note, I have read about some counterfeit cards. So how do I verify if the one I would get is genuine? Any way to verify it? Like Intel's Yotta Mark?

Thanks

Etorix

Wizard
Why 16i? That number of drives is better addressed with SAS backplanes and expanders.
If this is for spinning drives, the 9200 series may do it. The 9400 is not yet recommended—too new.
The 9300-16i is two -8i controllers on the same board while the 9305-16i is a single controller, and uses less power.

probain

Patron
From what I remember, the 9300-16i is actually a dual chip design. Something alike 2x 9300 8i. This is why i draws more power, with more heat as a result. There are fan adapters for slim noctuas, that you can print in PETG easily. Like This one

Take a look at the youtube channel Art of server.
For instance this video goes through several things to look at. And it saved me from buying "obvious" fake ones.

Fastline

Patron
Why 16i? That number of drives is better addressed with SAS backplanes and expanders.
So that means if i just use it in my tower which is custom made and has 32 drive shelves, am i risking it without backplanes?

If this is for spinning drives, the 9200 series may do it. The 9400 is not yet recommended—too new.
I know, but i would be using SSD so want to use the new variant. Is LSI 9400 not ready yet? I did some tests with my friend a couple of months ago and we installed 9400-16i on TrueNAS Scale and it worked fine. He has like 24 Spinning Drives, a couple of optanes, etc.

The 9300-16i is two -8i controllers on the same board while the 9305-16i is a single controller, and uses less power.
Oh, i see. So that's the reason why it uses an external power?

Fastline

Patron
From what I remember, the 9300-16i is actually a dual chip design. Something alike 2x 9300 8i. This is why i draws more power, with more heat as a result. There are fan adapters for slim noctuas, that you can print in PETG easily. Like This one

Take a look at the youtube channel Art of server.
For instance this video goes through several things to look at. And it saved me from buying "obvious" fake ones.
Oh, i see the reason now. Yes, in fact it was Art of server by whom i got to know that there are counterfeits one in the market too with a tempting price ;)

probain

Patron
The 9300-16i doesn't need external power, if it can draw the entire wattage from the motherboard. But this means that the board needs to be of a much better standard to be able to supply that.

Fastline

Patron
Also, guys is there any sort of Generic which comes with AS3416 16i packaging or is it a counterfeit item? Of course, i see a plain box with that only, no model or mark which says Avago at the back of the card so i suspect if it is a counterfeit item.

Fastline

Patron
The 9300-16i doesn't need external power, if it can draw the entire wattage from the motherboard. But this means that the board needs to be of a much better standard to be able to supply that.
Well, as per the Broadcom Data sheet, it does.

probain

Patron
Oh, i see the reason now. Yes, in fact it was Art of server by whom i got to know that there are counterfeits one in the market too with a tempting price ;)
I was lucky and found a genuine one. And even more lucky when the guy shipped two in the same package :cool: (2 for 1 baby!)

probain

Patron
Well, as per the Broadcom Data sheet, it does.
If the board is limited to supplying 25W via the PCI-slot. The board draws 27W. But if you got the connector free, then it doesn't hurt to use it.

probain

Patron
Did you pay the guy extra or didn't talk about it ;)
Looking at the age of the firmwares on one of them (ancient). I'm guessing he was just happy to get rid of them.

Etorix

Wizard
So that means if i just use it in my tower which is custom made and has 32 drive shelves, am i risking it without backplanes?
You're not at risk, but a server chassis with backplane(s) and drive caddies would be more convenient than individually wiring 32 drives…

I know, but i would be using SSD so want to use the new variant. Is LSI 9400 not ready yet?
9300 HBAs are fast enough for SATA SSDs. As for the 9400, if you want to spend more to be a guinea pig, please go ahead!

Fastline

Patron
If the board is limited to supplying 25W via the PCI-slot. The board draws 27W. But if you got the connector free, then it doesn't hurt to use it.
The 9300-16i has a 6 PIN PCIe connector for external power.

probain

Patron
The 9300-16i has a 6 PIN PCIe connector for external power.

Question​

Do I require auxiliary power for the HBA 9300-16I / HBA 9300-16E Controllers?

Answer​

Normal PCIe connectors on the main boards have a maximum performance of 25W. But the controllers require 26.9W.
Some newer main boards may have a higher performance. Please check with your vendor.

There are no auxiliary cables delivered in the box. These cables are usually already available in the system power supply.

Please do see the User Guide and Quick Installation Guide for details.
source

Edit: added this
I'm just saying that the aux-power connector is only used if your motherboard can't supply enough power. It seems that some 1x-8x PCI slots are limited to 25W. But if you have a connector free from your PSU. Then go ahead and connect it. It won't hurt.

Fastline

Patron
You're not at risk, but a server chassis with backplane(s) and drive caddies would be more convenient than individually wiring 32 drives…
Yes, i know. Someday in the future for sure!

9300 HBAs are fast enough for SATA SSDs. As for the 9400, if you want to spend more to be a guinea pig, please go ahead!
Who wants to spend extra $$ for no reason? A reason why i asked for the selection. As 9300-16i requires external power due to dual controllers, i think 9305-16i should be good to go. What's your take?

The real challenge is finding a genuine card. How do i even identify these newer cards that they are genuine?

probain

Patron
The real challenge is finding a genuine card. How do i even identify these newer cards that they are genuine?
Art of server, has plenty of tips on how to identify fake ones. So have a look through his. I even linked one that has plenty of good tips. :smile:

If you can find a 9305 for a good price. Then go for that one. Expanders are another way to go. But I'm not familiar with those.
But the 9300 works good. I've had mine for almost a year without any issues. And even got some (much newer firmware on it too. So I'm happy with it. Although the fan does eat up the adjacent PCI-slot :(

Fastline

Patron
Art of server, has plenty of tips on how to identify fake ones. So have a look through his. I even linked one that has plenty of good tips. :smile:

If you can find a 9305 for a good price. Then go for that one. Expanders are another way to go. But I'm not familiar with those.
But the 9300 works good. I've had mine for almost a year without any issues. And even got some (much newer firmware on it too. So I'm happy with it. Although the fan does eat up the adjacent PCI-slot :(
Yes, but i hope a card which is sealed and comes with Broadcom box and manual, shouldn't be fake i guess.

Yes, going for 9305 or 9400 as i have already tested it with my friend in TrueNAS Scale and it works fine.

Last edited: