SOLVED WD Utility for RED drives with High Load Cycle Counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Should be just fine without ever touching it. Had something changed with WD drives with recent releases?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi to all, I have buy a wd red 6 tb with nasware 3.0 (WD60EFRX) and I want disable the head parking. In the official page downloads there is a utility called wd5741 and is written that the utility will increase the value of timer but not disable it (moreover I don't have understand if it's a firmware update or change also some settings). Always in the official site is written that wdidle3 must be used only with wd green (I have also tried wdidle3 but it's don't find the hdd maybe because my wd red is link at esata port of my pc) while wd5741 response is that drive update not needed. Now the questions are:

1)wd5741 disable the timer or only increase it the value of it?
2)if I want disable the timer how I must do? I must use wdidle3? and wdidle3 work with nasware 3.0?
3)wd5741 and wdidle3 works only if device is link to serial ata of motherboard?
I guess I don't understand your questions. Are you saying that the postings in this thread do not answer your questions?

Also, why must you disable the head parking? If anything I'd set it to 300 seconds. Although mine have been disabled for 3 years now and still doing fine but my drives are a bit older than the new 6TB models.

n3o

Cadet
I guess I don't understand your questions. Are you saying that the postings in this thread do not answer your questions?

Also, why must you disable the head parking? If anything I'd set it to 300 seconds. Although mine have been disabled for 3 years now and still doing fine but my drives are a bit older than the new 6TB models.

the posting in this thread are related to hdd with older version of nasware and old firmware.

I want disable head parking because it's reduce the life time of hard disk and it's designed to power saving (option that I'm not interested and that increase load/unload cycle that for wd red is 600000); I want disable it and not increase time of timer.

n3o

Cadet
at this post https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...gh-load-cycle-counts.18095/page-8#post-275987 Wabun have told:

A little update, I know it's a while ago for the last reply but as I have read the whole tread out of interest because of buying the 2.5" drives for my Supermicro chassis 8x2.5"

Ordered a few days ago a batch of 2.5" drives the: RED NASware v3.0, WD10JFCX - 68N6GN0, Firmware 82-00A82

The wdidle3 shows by default 300 seconds for the LLC counter.
The wd5471 tells met nothing to do, not even with the LLC counter set to 8 seconds instead of 300 [default]

Interesting was when changing the timer from 300 seconds to disable, it increased like mad when I was monitoring this with hdtunepro in Win7. In a few minutes it got hundreds of LLC counts added, I had to rush to shut down laptop and boot in dos. Set the timer back to 300 and all back to normal, no more increases in the LLC, it stopped at 600...

*** UPDATE *** I had to turn the power off after disabling the idle3, that seems to be very important.

Hope this helps someone to disable this counter by default for these drives without checking it!

what does it mean? wd5741 is unuseful and I'm obligated to use wdidle3 with hdd link to sata of motherboard? somebody can help me?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not trying to piss you off with my posting but you should just leave your settings at 300 seconds and then evaluate your count over a few days to see how fast the count is going up. Even if your count was going up 288 counts per day (not likely if your timer is set to 300 seconds), it would still last for 5.7 years before it hit the count of 600,000.

Great thread, I use a lot of WD drives but never knew some of the backstory such as what happened to greens. I had one 3TB Green WD30 EZRX-00DC0BO that just wouldn't take the wdidle3 treatment even though it was purchased around the same time as 3 others that did set to 300. It now has just over 1 million load cycles in three years 182 days of use. I guess I'll just run it until it fails.

joeschmuck

Old Man

joeschmuck

Old Man
Always remember RAID is not a substitute for backup :) Greens that didn't fail in the first year or two seem to last as long as other drives.
My reds are at 4.385 years power on hours and they have benn physically running the entire time, minus maybe 2 weeks when I was testing out the aspect of sleeping the drives.

Brighter

Dabbler
FWIW, if anybody missed this update the last few years and is downloading the update to try now, it appears the wd5741x64 file from wdc is corrupted, giving a segfault when run. Spent hours trying to figure out the issue - even tried some random old version of ubuntu just to see if something changed. Finally, chance upon a random mirror site through Google (https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=40252&v_langue=en) and tried downloading the same file from one of the mirrors and lo and behold, it worked...

so, if you were like me googling "wd5741x64 segmentation fault" and finding no answers, I hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.