SOLVED WD Utility for RED drives with High Load Cycle Counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just found out about this issue on my 3TB Reds....LCC count was > 427k in 6000 hours...ouch.

What's their manufacture date? Around December 2013?

Yatti420

Wizard
All WD Reds should be checked..

Starpulkka

Contributor
Funny, i said many months before now exactly same that reds should be checked too, but no one believed that in this forum.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Funny, i said many months before now exactly same that reds should be checked too, but no one believed that in this forum.

Many people insist there is some unquantifiable magic that makes the reds different than the greens. Said people wanted to argue marketing talking points and would not listen to reason. I'm sure many people still have not come around.

thefox13

Dabbler
Checked my drives, dated November 2013. Disabled both idle times and they seem to be fine without racking up LCC.

DJABE

Contributor
Hey folks, what about latest WD RED's, (MFG date now last summer) do they still ship them with this LCC issue?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hey folks, what about latest WD RED's, (MFG date now last summer) do they still ship them with this LCC issue?

I didn't check mine (made in May, IIRC), but their LCC is quite low.

thefox13

Dabbler
Seems like the later version drives, mid-2014 or so, seem to be fine. I've personally checked July 2014 and they were set to 300s.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Maybe they just made a bad run of them. Somebody was color blind and loaded the green firmware in the reds. Mistakes like that happen.
you-had-one-job-meme-5.jpg

voyager529

Dabbler
Hey everyone,

Sorry to dig up this slightly-dated post, but a friend of mine is building a FreeNAS with these 4TB RED drives. The good news is that there's no data on it yet, but I'd like to keep the warranty on the drives intact if possible. I read through the thread, and it sounds like the issue has been resolved in later revisions of these drives? The earliest manufacturing date of the drives she has is Oct 2014; the others are all 2015. Is it worth attempting to make the modifications on her drives, or did "slushy guy" find another job?

Thanks!

Joey

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hey everyone,

Sorry to dig up this slightly-dated post, but a friend of mine is building a FreeNAS with these 4TB RED drives. The good news is that there's no data on it yet, but I'd like to keep the warranty on the drives intact if possible. I read through the thread, and it sounds like the issue has been resolved in later revisions of these drives? The earliest manufacturing date of the drives she has is Oct 2014; the others are all 2015. Is it worth attempting to make the modifications on her drives, or did "slushy guy" find another job?

Thanks!

Joey

Those drives are almost certainly fine. As long as the Load Cycle Counts don't grow like there's no tomorrow, there's nothing to worry about.

Yatti420

Wizard
Better to be safe then sorry.. Always run wdidle on your red or greens..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

joeschmuck

Old Man
The drives have been re-rated to 600,000 cycles I believe.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't recall reading about any physical design changes in the Gen 2 but if there is a link to something like this I'd appreciate it (maybe I'll go looking for it myself). I think all I read was they made some firmware changes, or should I really say the tolerances on the parking doubled and the number of drives mounted tot he same physical case jumped up to 8. I don't know if they made any real changes to the hard drive.

Wabun

Cadet
A little update, I know it's a while ago for the last reply but as I have read the whole tread out of interest because of buying the 2.5" drives for my Supermicro chassis 8x2.5"

Ordered a few days ago a batch of 2.5" drives the: RED NASware v3.0, WD10JFCX - 68N6GN0, Firmware 82-00A82

The wdidle3 shows by default 300 seconds for the LLC counter.
The wd5471 tells met nothing to do, not even with the LLC counter set to 8 seconds instead of 300 [default]

Interesting was when changing the timer from 300 seconds to disable, it increased like mad when I was monitoring this with hdtunepro in Win7. In a few minutes it got hundreds of LLC counts added, I had to rush to shut down laptop and boot in dos. Set the timer back to 300 and all back to normal, no more increases in the LLC, it stopped at 600...

*** UPDATE *** I had to turn the power off after disabling the idle3, that seems to be very important.

Hope this helps someone to disable this counter by default for these drives without checking it!

Last edited:

RichTJ99

Patron
I have a number of 6TB WD reds in my box (sig) - is there an easy way to check this in my production freenas box?

Wabun

Cadet
I have a number of 6TB WD reds in my box (sig) - is there an easy way to check this in my production freenas box?

I think Freenas has SMART display, if you see a high counter, then depending if you have a raid controller or not take the drives out put in other PC and disable the idle3.
Swapping will solve the power off issue I had.

Hope that helps.

n3o

Cadet
Hi to all, I have buy a wd red 6 tb with nasware 3.0 (WD60EFRX) and I want disable the head parking. In the official page downloads there is a utility called wd5741 and is written that the utility will increase the value of timer but not disable it (moreover I don't have understand if it's a firmware update or change also some settings). Always in the official site is written that wdidle3 must be used only with wd green (I have also tried wdidle3 but it's don't find the hdd maybe because my wd red is link at esata port of my pc) while wd5741 response is that drive update not needed. Now the questions are:

1)wd5741 disable the timer or only increase it the value of it?
2)if I want disable the timer how I must do? I must use wdidle3? and wdidle3 work with nasware 3.0?
3)wd5741 and wdidle3 works only if device is link to serial ata of motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.