VMware Alternatives

Current VMware Users: Which VMware alternative are you most considering?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey TrueNAS Community! With the ever-changing landscape, we wanted to run a survey to find out which is your most likely candidate as an alternative to VMware? Have one that isn’t listed? Let us know below!

Results from r/TrueNAS
1708625693281.png

[iframe][/iframe]

Last edited:

KX4MQ

Cadet
At this point I am curious to hear from others. I think I will start with ProxMox. Are there any good arguments in terms of costs, features, or pitfalls that would make this a sub-optimal choice?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not surprised we're discussing this, but I am surprised we're discussing it so soon.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What the absolute f*ck?

Sorry, folks. This is the TrueNAS forum. And here we have a survey about what we are planning to replace VMware with? Doesn't anyone but me notice what is missing from the choices? Seriously?

I replaced all VMware infrastructure in our company with FreeNAS/TrueNAS CORE in 2019! Not looking back. TrueNAS CORE provides all our virtualised workloads 24x7. Linux, Windows, Windows Server, ...

TrueNAS can handle all your virtualised workloads. Now. Period. :mad:

Didn't Microsoft announce an EOL date for hyper-V?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I was typing something vaguely similar, Patrick.
TrueNAS CORE is the best hyperconverged platform existing. I can run whatever I want on it and have the reliability of ZFS, snapshots, replication. Why would I ever consider another solution? I am not missing anything.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I feel the vote should be changed to what everyone is using, but I understand you are focusing on alternates making an assumption VMWare is the top dog. I will continue to use ESXi (free) for as long as possible. I'm not even considering another.

probain

Patron
Could instead be taken as a measure to see what potential Type-1 hypervisors to develop integrations for. This is good!
If TN works as your hypervisor, then that's great. But it doesn't have to be a proverbial hammer looking for nail-problems :)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I feel the vote should be changed to what everyone is using, but I understand you are focusing on alternates making an assumption VMWare is the top dog. I will continue to use ESXi (free) for as long as possible. I'm not even considering another.
The poll is specifically asking "Current VMware Users" what they might be considering.

victort

Guru
TrueNAS CORE is the best hyperconverged platform existing. I can run whatever I want on it and have the reliability of ZFS, snapshots, replication. Why would I ever consider another solution? I am not missing anything.
Agreed.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How can on a TrueNAS forum an iX representative post a survey about possible VMware replacements and completely omit TrueNAS?

TrueNAS - both CORE and SCALE are completely capable VMware replacements. Why would I even bother with the other choices?

I am fuming.

KX4MQ

Cadet

danb35

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS - both CORE and SCALE are completely capable VMware replacements.
SCALE isn't even in the same county as Proxmox, and CORE lags far behind SCALE. And Proxmox, by most reports, lags behind VMWare, but I can't speak from experience there.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
SCALE isn't even in the same county as Proxmox, and CORE lags far behind SCALE. And Proxmox, by most reports, lags behind VMWare, but I can't speak from experience there.
As I wrote I am running all our mission critical 64 bit virtualised workloads on CORE without any problem since 2019. We have an HP microserver with ESXi for the 3 legacy 32 bit VMs until we can retire them.

KX4MQ

Cadet
As I wrote I am running all our mission critical 64 bit virtualised workloads on CORE without any problem since 2019. We have an HP microserver with ESXi for the 3 legacy 32 bit VMs until we can retire them.
CORE has BeeHyve, Right? and SCALE is KVM - which is almost ProxMox? Maybe TrueNAS guys will incorporate ProxMox into SCALE ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I mean, CORE can't even present the virtual console over HTTPS. But it doesn't know that, so if you're accessing the GUI via HTTPS, it tries to link to the console that way, which results in a refused connection. If you manually edit the URL back to HTTP, it works. Really?

I'm glad it works for you. But if even my trivial workload taxes it, it can't be anything like a replacement for VMWare.

John Doe

Guru
using ESXi 6.7 since about 3 or 4 years. very stable.
so at the moment I have no idea what will be next but for sure not ESXi.

my install is EOL and a change is unfortunately due.

Can ix set up the truenas networking gui similar to ESXi?
That would be a big plus over proxmox

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@danb35 None of my Unix like VMs even have a VNC/VGA console. Serial throughout. For Windows, yes, I am aware of that deficiency, but I am also never using VNC after initial installation. Why would one use anything but RDP for Windows?