VMware Alternatives

Current VMware Users: Which VMware alternative are you most considering?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LcNessie

Cadet
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling... ... ... disappointed... ... with what Broadcom is doing with VMware...

artlessknave

Wizard
fortunately, i abandoned VMware a long time ago. the "Free" version always felt like there was going be a bait'n'switch to me.
and I wanted to mess with VM migratation but the license for v(whatever the heck its called now - vcenter? the names always confuse me) was stupid.
I also never trusted centOS or other red hat adjacent projects; IBM was only too happy to prove me right, to my disappointment...
currently wondering about pfsense 'plus' in this regard as well...

danb35

Hall of Famer
currently wondering about pfsense 'plus' in this regard as well
I'm long past trusting Netgate/Rubicon/ESF/whatever they're calling themselves now.

artlessknave

Wizard
still netgate. the problem is I already had everything build with pfsense before I really found all the...strange things the company is claimed to have done. so I was willing to give them some slack, but then they pulled the 'plus' thing. first you could get a plus homelab licesnsefor free but then they just stopped that, in a broadcom way.
they also reportedly added a ZFS widget for the dashboard, to actually monitor your pools....and ONLY put it in 'plus'
I have to many setting in setup in pfsense so I just cant bring myself around to migrating off of it (likely to opnsense) so im really just waiting for them to announce that they are killing CE or something. like waiting for ix to announce that CORE is dead; Long LIve SCALE!

/rant

djb

Explorer
@artlessknave @danb35 interesting discussion.
I'm using XCP-ng , but i'm checking out proxmox sometimes for test purposes.
I'm using pfSense CE , but i', checking out and periodically testing OPNSense.
I'm using Truenas Core and currently i'm not feeling that i need alternative. Maybe i will test Scale sometime.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm using pfSense CE , but i', checking out and periodically testing OPNSense.

artlessknave

Wizard
wow. I knew of the insulting website, but I don't think I actually saw it. they put actual work into that.
too bad they didn't put that kind of energy into making a release so good nobody WANTED to fork it.
It's sort of elegant...in a "the whirlpool around a sinking ship looks neat" kinda way.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh yeah, they went low. Childishly low. Left a very poor impression.

rvassar

Guru

joeschmuck

Old Man