VMware Alternatives

Current VMware Users: Which VMware alternative are you most considering?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joeschmuck

Old Man

TXAG26

Patron
I’ve been trying to find out how long the free version of ESXI hypervisor will continue to receive updates/security fixes. Any details? Or did VMWare just completely shutter it yesterday? There haven’t been any v8 ESXI updates since Oct. 2023, so maybe that’s the answer…?

KX4MQ

Cadet
@danb35 None of my Unix like VMs even have a VNC/VGA console. Serial throughout. For Windows, yes, I am aware of that deficiency, but I am also never using VNC after initial installation. Why would one use anything but RDP for Windows?

using ESXi 6.7 since about 3 or 4 years. very stable.
so at the moment I have no idea what will be next but for sure not ESXi.

my install is EOL and a change is unfortunately due.

Can ix set up the truenas networking gui similar to ESXi?
That would be a big plus over proxmox
+1 agree! This would be an AWESOME addition! +1 iX, Please add some GUI features for networking.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

blanchet

Guru
It is not obvious to leave VMware:
  • VMware runs very well whatever the guest operating system is
  • VMware is easy to use even for newbies.
  • VMware has an excellent documentation that can be queried from Google
  • VMware has a very large ecosystem of excellent tools, like Veeam B&R
  • All storage vendors supports VMware vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI)
  • Most Independent Software Vendors supports only VMware

tess

Cadet
If the management GUI for the virtualization in Scale improves I would seriously consider moving everything over to Scale. Right now I run Scale inside of ESXI 8.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is not obvious to leave VMware:
Sure, VMware remains the standard--at least for the time being. But its free version just went away, so anyone who doesn't already have a copy needs to pay for it (and how long existing instances of the free version will continue to work is anyone's guess). And that's going to have downstream effects--students and hobbyists aren't going to be nearly as likely to use it as they once were, which in due course will reduce the pool of admins with experience on it. Over time--and that time might be surprisingly short--it seems likely that something else will supplement, if not completely supplant, VMware as the standard.

Broadcom are betting that won't happen. I don't think that's a wise bet. But time will tell.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Arwen

MVP
This same learning for free verses on the job applies to AIX & Solaris, (as well as a ton of other software).

For AIX, you NEED Power CPU hardware, and I think Power 8 is the minimum now for AIX 7.1 / 7.2. Probably a bit rare or pricey in the used market. That's even if you could get AIX software, (or the HMC & VIO support software...).

As for Solaris, Sun used to allow free downloads, and the x64 version is very usable. Plus, used SPARCv9 gear was easily available. So their was no real limit like their was with IBM's AIX. However, with Oracle owning Sun, there are no more free downloads. Plus, with Solaris 11 only working on latest generation of hardware, it's now the same as IBM's AIX or VMWare.

Over the last 15 years I have seen Unix SysAdmins hired without AIX or Solaris experience, (but the company has all three, including Linux). I am stuck at times being the "expert" because I remember working on SunOS 4.1.3. And know how to spell "smitty" :smile:.

It is weird that some companies require a skill, but the only way to get the skill is with a job that uses the skill. With the free version of VMWare gone, little incentive to learn a new skill just in case a new job requires it.

CountBuggula

Cadet
What the absolute f*ck?

Sorry, folks. This is the TrueNAS forum. And here we have a survey about what we are planning to replace VMware with? Doesn't anyone but me notice what is missing from the choices? Seriously?

I replaced all VMware infrastructure in our company with FreeNAS/TrueNAS CORE in 2019! Not looking back. TrueNAS CORE provides all our virtualised workloads 24x7. Linux, Windows, Windows Server, ...

TrueNAS can handle all your virtualised workloads. Now. Period. :mad:

TrueNAS has zero clustering/HA/failover for VMs and apps. That's a big selling point for VMware.

Personally, I'm looking at migrating to Harvester. The company I work for just finished migrating off of VMware to AWS.

probain

Patron
We're just about to spin up labs and start evaluate XCP-NG. To see if it would be a contender for non critical production workloads.

If there were in future be tighter integrations between TN and XCP. Then that would make me a happy camper.

nabsltd

Contributor
Sure, VMware remains the standard--at least for the time being. But its free version just went away, so anyone who doesn't already have a copy needs to pay for it (and how long existing instances of the free version will continue to work is anyone's guess).
The existing licensing system for VMware products (at least ESXi and vSphere) does not require any online access, so they won't stop working unless the current license that is applied is time-limited in some way.

If the license is time-limited, the user will know exactly when it will stop working, as it will say so right on the license information page.

truecharts

Guru
KubeVirt is painfully missing here!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Wait, what?
Hyper-V Server, the free/standalone product, didn't get a 2022 release; however, the Hyper-V role still exists in Server 2022.

Hyper-V Server 2019 is EOL as of January 2029.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hyper-V role is also available on Windows 10/11 Pro. I'm sure it is not the same as Hyper-V Server, but it is usable as far as I can tell. I've used it a few times, I prefer ESXi. I do like the Sandbox.

FrankWard

Explorer
If I had to choose a VM solution other than Scale, which has been great for servers and dev, I'd probably look at ProxMox. VMWare has been a great solution, but Free is always preferred if it is up to the task.