USB with FreeNAS installation is not bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenan

Cadet
I followed https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html#installation-troubleshooting and installed FreeNAS on a USB succesfully. However the USB with the FreeNAS installation doesn't show up as a bootable device on my Macbook(tested it on another Machine, didn't work either).

I'm not talking about the FreeNAS installer. I used
Code:
sudo dd if=FreeNAS-9.10.1.iso of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=64k
and that worked fine.
I'm talking about the USB on which I installed FreeNAS using the FreeNAS installer.
USB types and size are exactly the same.

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Not a Mac User, but is there an option in the BIOS to use the USB as a Boot Device? Also, I hope you are doing this only in a Evaluation/Experimental manner... Running FreeNAS on a laptop is NOT recommended.

kenan

Cadet
Not a Mac User, but is there an option in the BIOS to use the USB as a Boot Device? Also, I hope you are doing this only in a Evaluation/Experimental manner... Running FreeNAS on a laptop is NOT recommended.

This is indeed just to experiment. Mac uses EFI. What you described is done with Startup Manager or by booting with the option key. The problem is though that it doesn't show the USB drive.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Nick2253

Wizard
Do you have any other machine that you can test the FreeNAS USB on? Or, could you try installing to a different USB stick? I'm wondering if you have a bad USB stick, or if maybe your Mac just doesn't like that USB stick.

kenan

Cadet
Do you have any other machine that you can test the FreeNAS USB on? Or, could you try installing to a different USB stick? I'm wondering if you have a bad USB stick, or if maybe your Mac just doesn't like that USB stick.

I have a identical USB stick with an older FreeNAS version and config which did work. I tested it on my server and on my personal Mac, still not bootable.

Last edited:
Some people mentioned success trying usb 2.0 slot vs 3.0 slot. Does it have both types?

Or try "C" to start up from a bootable CD, DVD, or USB thumb drive.:
Press and hold the "C" key immediately after you turn on your Mac and hear the startup sound. Keep holding until the described behavior occurs.

kenan

Cadet
Some people mentioned success trying usb 2.0 slot vs 3.0 slot. Does it have both types?

Or try "C" to start up from a bootable CD, DVD, or USB thumb drive.:
Press and hold the "C" key immediately after you turn on your Mac and hear the startup sound. Keep holding until the described behavior occurs.
Thanks but this didn't help unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.