Issues with creating a bootable USB device for N36L Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntGTD184

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Not used Freenass for 2-3 years after the server i was running at the time was water damaged during a flood. I have been meaning to set another NAS up since but have muddled through over the years with a handful of USB hard drives but its now getting to the point where i want to automate back ups etc.

I have a HP N36L with 8GB RAM + 4TB in RAID 1 which i intend to use headless with PLEX (Or XBMC - not decided yet) but am having an absolute mare of a time trying to create a bootable USB using release 9.10. Using the installation notes http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html I have followed both 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 to the letter using different memory sticks yet i can't get server to boot to USB even with this selected in the BIOS boot options.

Any thoughts?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What happens when you try to boot from the USB?

AntGTD184

Cadet
Doh! forgot to include that bit!

Nothing - it gets when the boot sequence should start and all i get is a blinking curser.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you try the USB in a different computer to see if it boots?

Does your n36l motherboard support USB boot?

gpsguy

His N36L should boot from USB. He may need to check the settings in the BIOS. It been years since I looked at the settings in my N40L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntGTD184

Cadet
Changed the USB to an old 2GB i had knocking round and it works so must have a dodgy Sandisk stick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.