SOLVED Installation USB visible but not bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pentarctagon

Dabbler
I'm trying to install FreeNAS for the first time and followed these instructions on Linux Mint. This is what I see on the flashdrive after using the command:
dd if=FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840.iso of=/dev/sdg1 bs=64k
HkcKVhX.png

In the BIOS the flashdrive shows up as: USB Hard Disk:Lexar USB Flash Drive 1100
It is set as the first boot device to try. For good measure I also marked the other five boot device slots as Disabled as well as disabled PxE elsewhere in the BIOS.

However, when I let it boot, I get the following error:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

---

Hardware info
CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v3
RAM: 16 GBs (2x8)
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O

Artion

Patron
Hi, i think you could do dd with the .img file not the .iso file of the FreeNAS installation. At least i did this way without any problem. Hope it helps.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi, i think you could do dd with the .img file not the .iso file of the FreeNAS installation. At least i did this way without any problem. Hope it helps.
What img file? Haven't seen an img file in a long time for freenas.

Besides. Like I said. IPMI. Use it.

Pentarctagon

Dabbler
I've gotten as far as telling it to mount the iso, but it for some reason still can't see it. I created a share via Samba, which I can access:

smbclient //192.168.2.2/FreeNAS_ISOs -U <user>
Enter <user>'s password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu]
smb: \> dir
. D 0 Sat Feb 13 18:39:30 2016
.. D 0 Sat Feb 13 20:11:24 2016
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840.iso N 406863872 Fri Jan 29 02:35:31 2016

54569 blocks of size 4194304. 45964 blocks available
smb: \>

However when trying to mount it from Virtual Media > CD-ROM Image, it never appears. There are no errors, it just pops up saying: "Please check the device status to confirm whether the image is mounted/unmounted".
UR6XT6N.png

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You're doing it wrong.

Launch your console from REMOTE CONTROL menu.

Then on the remote java console, you select VIRTUAL MEDIA.

LOGICAL DRIVE TYPE is ISO FILE

open file

plug in

boot

Artion

Patron
What img file? Haven't seen an img file in a long time for freenas.

Besides. Like I said. IPMI. Use it.

You are right. There is no .IMG of FN. Sorry. I used WinDD to prepare the thumbdrive so I renamed the .ISO to .IMG to make it work.

Pentarctagon

Dabbler
It worked, thanks! And as a bonus, I was able to do a mirrored installation since I wasn't installing from one of the USBs. Still can't access the Web GUI for some reason, but hopefully I'll be able to figure that one out on my own.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It worked, thanks! And as a bonus, I was able to do a mirrored installation since I wasn't installing from one of the USBs. Still can't access the Web GUI for some reason, but hopefully I'll be able to figure that one out on my own.
Make sure you use 2 nics total. One dedicated to IPMI, and the other dedicated to Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.