Another non-bootable USB problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieEater3142

Dabbler
Doh, scratch that, it's been me misreading it - I thought there was an extra letter there.
I think I confused myself as the example
xzcat FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64.img.xz | dd of=/dev/da0 bs=64k
identifies with a number so in my head I assumed that it was a partition, not different linux flavour. Answer is read the thoroughly and don't jump to conclusions.

Sorry for stupid questions.

D

dlavigne

No problem, it is a very common error. Was just wondering if there was a way to make it stick out more in the docs.

PieEater3142

Dabbler
Only thing i can think of is change the quoted dd command to be all letters, more inline with sdb or sdc

Mike Gregore

Cadet
Brand Noobie here.

Was having this USB issue. USB image made from CD to several USB drives: 32GB Xporter, brand new Sony 8GB USB 3.0
All would boot and give a "no operating system error" or somethig of the kind. I did try making the USB drive primary boot drive but made no difference.

Reading Warren Spiker post for another post I followed these Bios Changes:

Boot to Bios - forced USB to HD Emulation
ReBoot to Bios - Changed Boot Sequence to USB first ( also chage Hard Disk order to USB 1st drive but may not be necessary)

Had also read somewhere the need for some people change HD to achi for booting to work and also did this in the Bios.

Tested all USB ports both direct on MB and wired to case as well as all my USB drives and system will boot everytime to FreeNas now. Have tried Rebooting at least 10x's no problem

Thanks to Warren Spiker and others for the info!

Can't wait to give FreeNas a go

Cheers

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.