Unable to createa bootable media with Rufus

FOx3475

Cadet
This has been insane... the past 3 hours I have been trying different USB drives, different computers to try and create a recognizable bootable USB to install FreeNAS. All I get, regardless of what I change out is an unrecognizable drive, with one unformatted partition and another partition listed as Healthy (GPT Protective Partition) that is 574 MBs (the ISO's contents I CAN'T GET TO). I have tried Etcher, and got the same result. 32GB drive, 16GB drives it doesn't matter. I can't access this partition no matter what I try, it will not allow me to interact with it, and nothing (3 computers) recognize it as a usable drive. With Rufus (version 3.8), something I'm really not liking is that when I select my iso, FreeNAS-11.2-U6, it greys out all of my options. I'm assuming it's pulling a "I know best", but I tried an older version on another computer and got the same results any way. Either way...does anyone know how in the world to get a bootable FreeNAS drive created so I can install the OS? This is crazy to me that a process so simple is being such a fricken hassle. Any help is appreciated...

1kokies

Contributor
Been lots of post here on this subject.........i myself wrote 2-3. Basically the ISO 11.2 U6 works, there is nothing wrong with it.

Give more details and more will be able to help

FOx3475

Cadet
As stated in the original post I have used Etcher and I get the exact same result as Rufus... Grabbed another USB, and another laptop today...same result... Please see the screenshot below...
freenasnotworking.PNG

colmconn

Contributor
Other alternatives include creating the boot disk from a MAC or Linux box using the dd command.

Another alternative it so skip the creating of the install USB stick completely. What I've done in the past is to create a small VM using VirtualBox (on a MAC). Add the USB you want to install to to the VM from the VirtualBox VM config. Set the VM to boot from the ISO and install to the USB. When done remove the USB from the computer running the VM and attach to the computer you want to run FreeNAS on. I used this approach because the USB sticks I had were physically identical (and tiny) and I could never remember which was which and didn't want to pull the wrong one form the machine when I was finished.

FOx3475

Cadet
Thanks colmconn, I will keep that in mind!

1kokies, I was looking through your posts as you stated you had helped a few folks with this and I found this one here, the exact issues i'm getting. So I read through your reply, and your right Windows is causing the headache. The issues is I can't get Rufus to format the drive any other way it seems, I can set it to "UEFI:NTFS" but the moment I pick my ISO it grays everything out and I get the same result. I'm going to grab a Mac here in a bit and see what I can do...

1kokies

Contributor
@FOx3475 no problem, you will get it through. What's your mobo model ? UEFI or BIOS ?

I can set it to "UEFI:NTFS" but the moment I pick my ISO it grays everything out and I get the same result
1. before doing this use diskpart and clean command, so that the USB has no leftover partitions.
2. Then do what you did>choose UEFI:NTFS then only choose the ISO
3. Still cannot then after step 1 use diskpart to change partition table from MBR to GPT

Looking at your screenshot above it was still done in MBR.

(i am doing some migration t4 could not risk otherwise i will do one and screenshot)

Can i also know
1. The USB can be created without BSOD ?
2. Or you could not boot the USB ?
3. If the latter then you need to alternate your Bios between enabling CSM vs secure boot 'allow other OS' vs boot option of the USB (for UEFI you may see 2=the USB itself and the USB UEFI partition, choose the USB itself as primary and USB UEFI as secondary)

It will work rest assured

Attachments

• rufus.PNG
    rufus.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,515