Unable to install Truenas Core 12 from bootable USB

m1dn1ghs0n

Cadet
I looked through the forums already and didn't come across any relative posts. I am a Truenas noob attempting to install Truenas onto an NVME (boot) drive so that I can set up my 4x14TB Seagate hdd pool. I am running it from an old pc build of said specs: Asus Z170 Pro mobo, Intel Core i7 6700k, 64GB G. Skill 3600MHz RAM, Generic (repurposed) 512GB SK Hynix NVME ssd, and a 240 GB Intel 530 SSD to go along with my 4 Seagate spinning rust. I have tried making a bootable USB with 3 USB drives (Sandisk 16GB USB2.0, PNY 128GB USB3.1, and Sandisk USB3.0 256GB). I've used Rufus 3.13 as well as Balena Etcher for each one so far. Each time I attampt to boot into the USB media it is successfull getting to the "Console Setup" screen. I am able to use my keyboard and mouse in the time before it boots into the USB but once it does, the setup no longer recognizes my keyboard or mouse and I cannot click the option 1) Install/Upgrade. I have tried messing with several bios settings to no avail. I am getting extremely frustrated an cannot seem to find much relevent information regarding bootable USB install issues for Truenas Core. I have never had trouble creating a bootable usb in the past or installing on said system. I have also tried different USB ports for all devices 2.0/3.0/3.1 Front and back. Let me know if there is any other information that would be useful for diagnosing this situation.

Thanks,

J

Ive seen this happen before, look into the bios settings for USB settings sometimes there "legacy" options and other advanced things, play around with that.

Also any kind of secure boot or other fancy settings you can disable too. Audio, serial ports, advanced video settings, and anything else thats not going to be used.

m1dn1ghs0n

Cadet
Thanks for replying! I ended up getting it working. Turns out, it was the keyboard; which was a Corsair mechanical that was not recognized by Truenas. I had a wireless keyboard that I plugged in the adapter for and it was immediately recognized and allowed me to complete the setup. Super frustrating because there was no way for me to know the keyboard was the problem. I appreciate the timely response though. I do have another question for you since I see the specs in your signature with Supermicro gear...I believe yours is a motherboard but mine is a dual 10G sfp+ nic card, specifically a Supermicro AOC STGN-I2s. I don't know how install the drivers on Truenas. I successfully installed them for the other card in my main PC, but that was Windows and used an .exe file so it was easy. I don't know if you have any experience installing drivers with Truenas or with 10G sfp+ cards but a point in the right direction would be huge. Thanks again for your time.