Cannot Create Bootable GPT USB with Rufus or Windows USB Dowload Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to the forum and to FreeNAS but I have been reading on the forums and the FreeNAS manual for a few months now.

I have downloaded both:
FreeNAS 9.10 - Stable-201606270534
AND
FreeNAS 10-Master-201607171001-8da7f12.

The problem I am having is in trying to create a bootable USB for FreeNAS 9.10 or FreeNAS 10.

I have used 2 different USB drives and both are giving me troubles. First was a Samsung USB 3.0 Flash Drive FIT 32 GB, the second was a Silicon Power USB 3.0 16GB.

When I try to use Rufus and choose the "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" which if I have understood all of the reading correctly, FreeNAS uses the GPT partition scheme from 9.3 onward, i get the error "When using UEFI Target Type, only EFI bootable ISO images are supported. Please select an EFI bootable ISO or set the Target Type to BIOS." I can create an MBR partition scheme just fine, but I have read multiple places that FreeNAS will not install with an MBR partition scheme any longer.

I have also tried to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (The preferred method in the FreeNAS 9.10 guide!) and it does not even allow me to go to Step 2. It errors after I have chosen the FreeNAS iso file and clicked next. The error is "The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again."

Can anyone help shed some light on what is going on? Or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
SR

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
freenas hardware spec?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Try this download link for the latest version of 9.10
http://download.freenas.org/9.10/latest/x64/

Which version of Rufus are you using?
rufus1.JPG
Don't set any options but this one.
rufus2.JPG
Then hit the file icon and point
to the file you downloaded earlier.

Then make changes to the options if you wish,
but I never do...

Note my version number @ top left (older version)

I have also tried to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (The preferred method in the FreeNAS 9.10 guide!) and it does not even allow me to go to Step 2. It errors after I have chosen the FreeNAS iso file and clicked next. The error is "The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again."

SR

I am having this same issue, it is under a new thread because it is only the USB I am worried about. Also the documentation says to use it, with no other options.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Manuki-san

Cadet
I have had the same issue
- FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2.iso
- Rufus Version 2.11 (Build 995)
- USB Sandisk 64GB
Computer would not detect the USB key as a bootable device. USB key was not the issue as the key was perfectly bootable with the ISO of Ubuntu Desktop
What has worked for me was to "Write in DD mode" (i.e. not following the recommendation of Rufus which is "Write in ISO Image mode"
Rufus.jpg
ISOHybrid image detected.jpg

mrMuppet

Contributor
Had the same problems with Rufus. Then I took Etcher and everything simply worked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.